Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
The-Psychid
Reel Rookie

"Bandwidth Saver" Not Working Properly

A couple days ago, I posted a topic where, for some reason, the YouTube app for Roku stops playing after a few hours. Most recently, someone replied to my situation stating that the best way to take care of it was to set my "Bandwidth Saver" settings to "OFF". I thought it worked, but I've come across the same issue (although I'm tempted to say it lasted longer than before; I was there to witness it, just for good measure). I honestly don't know what I'm doing wrong, if anything.

If any of you have any further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to ask.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
25 REPLIES 25
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: "Bandwidth Saver" Not Working Properly

Note that the Bandwidth Saver setting will stop the Roku after four hours with no interaction. You will be prompted by an overlaid message asking if you're still watching. That's a Roku function. As you've disabled that, you won't get that from Roku.

However ... that won't stop any individual app from acting that way. And it seems YouTube does that. Note that I never use Autoplay on any app, so I've never encountered that. However, searching on the Internet finds that YouTube does indeed do that itself.

YouTube will ask if you're still watching after around 5-6 hours, from what I'm seeing. It pops its own "Are you still watching?" kind of thing, according to some online sources.

What that means is that Roku is no longer doing it, as you've disabled the Bandwidth Saver, but now you're running up against YouTube's version of the same thing.

You may want to find a different source if you need more than 5-6 hours straight videos for cats. You might want to look into something such as Pluto TV as an alternative.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

dpwii
Channel Surfer

I know this is an older thread but since the last software update ( May 2022) on my ROKU 3 player, the Bandwidth Saver does not work.  I have tried turning it off and back on and rebooting.  No luck.  Anyone else noticing this?

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@dpwii 

Describe the issue. The title alone "not working properly" isn't enough, and "does not work" can mean a bunch of things. So, imagining that we're not there with you, and that we can't see or experience what's happening, tell us what's going on.

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
dpwii
Channel Surfer

I didn't start this thread, so I have no control over the wording of the title.  I can only clarify what I was trying to convey in MY post.  Thankfully It.s not a complicated problem to understand.

The ROKU 3 box will stream continuously for days on end.  The Bandwidth Saver does not time out and kill the stream, even though the Bandwidth Saver is turned ON!  This started after the software was updated to version 11.0.0 Build 4193 that was pushed on 5/13/2022.  Thanks in Advance.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@dpwii 

Keep in mind that any user interaction with the remote can reset the four-hour counter. You have a Roku 3, although you didn't say which model number. Many of those came with the Gaming Remote, which had two buttons beneath all the others. My model 4200 did. I think some of the 4230 did as well, but during that time, Roku did away with the gaming remote. I think the later 4230 models came with the precursor to (or an early version of) today's Voice Remote. Moving the Gaming Remote, whether or not a button is pressed, can be an action, and reset the timer.

Likewise, using the Roku app can be interpreted as action, and reset the timer.

Have you started content playing, and set the remote aside, such as on a shelf where it won't move and generation action?

Keep in mind I'm just trying to rule out anything that can interfere with the four-hour counter.

DBDukes

0 Kudos
dpwii
Channel Surfer

Thanks for the reply and the suggestions.  I don't have the gaming or voice activated remote and I have never used the ROKU or Sling app.  To be sure there was no remote interaction, I removed the batteries in the only remote that the device recognizes.  I then placed the ROKU 3 in a totally enclosed cardboard box to eliminate any stray IR that could trigger it.  It streamed over 24 hours with out any interaction on a Sling channel until I manually stopped it.  I have verified several times that the Bandwidth Saver is turned ON.

Again, Thanks for your suggestions!

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@dpwii 

You seem to have been quite thorough in your testing. Perhaps @RokuDanny-R , @RokuKariza-D , or @RokuMary-F will have a suggestion, or ask for system details to escalate to a tech support team.

Unless some bug clears out via a manual update check, we may be looking at tech escalation.

DBDukes

0 Kudos
dpwii
Channel Surfer

Here is an update:  I know of two other ROKU 3 boxes that are doing the same thing.  The Bandwidth Saver does not work, although it is enabled.  That is now a total of 3 different devices that I know of, at 3 different locations, that will stream until they are manually stopped.  They all started on 5/4/22 when software version 11.0.0 Build 4193 was pushed.  The Bandwidth Saver worked on them before that date.

0 Kudos
Karenr1
Reel Rookie

Same issue for me. 

0 Kudos