Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chicken
Level 7

Re: "An Unexpected Problem"

"atc98092" wrote:
I have zero issues using Serviio as my DLNA server and playing to numerous Roku TVs and players. Of course, I've assisted the Serviio developer with creating Roku specific profiles that so far are working quite well for many people. I think ReadyDLNA doesn't list a platform because it supports multiple OSs, as does Plex, Serviio, Emby, and others. For NAS devices, the critical issue is ensuring that either your media doesn't require transcoding or having a NAS with enough CPU power to support transcoding. 
I like DLNA because it doesn't require a dedicated app across numerous devices. My Smart TVs, Blu Ray players, Roku devices and Nvidia Shield all see it and play just fine. 

I'm not sure about dedicated apps, depending on the player many have everything needed embedded (DLNA/SMB/HTTP/FTP) and in most cases they either work or they don't. Shield is probably the best Android TV out there but I'm hesitant given there's always something better in the pipeline.  Roku would be fine for me if I could get it working.  I feel there's some kind of programming error in Roku they could fix if they wanted to but maybe the code is all spaghetti and it would be impossible.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

"Chicken" wrote:
"atc98092" wrote:
I have zero issues using Serviio as my DLNA server and playing to numerous Roku TVs and players. Of course, I've assisted the Serviio developer with creating Roku specific profiles that so far are working quite well for many people. I think ReadyDLNA doesn't list a platform because it supports multiple OSs, as does Plex, Serviio, Emby, and others. For NAS devices, the critical issue is ensuring that either your media doesn't require transcoding or having a NAS with enough CPU power to support transcoding. 
I like DLNA because it doesn't require a dedicated app across numerous devices. My Smart TVs, Blu Ray players, Roku devices and Nvidia Shield all see it and play just fine. 

I'm not sure about dedicated apps, depending on the player many have everything needed embedded (DLNA/SMB/HTTP/FTP) and in most cases they either work or they don't. Shield is probably the best Android TV out there but I'm hesitant given there's always something better in the pipeline.  Roku would be fine for me if I could get it working.  I feel there's some kind of programming error in Roku they could fix if they wanted to but maybe the code is all spaghetti and it would be impossible.

There's talk of a new version of the Shield in the works, but no idea if it's really much different than the current version. There's indications it has an upgraded CPU/GPU, but no idea if they are adding things like Dolby Vision or support for YouTube HDR. Those are really the only two issues that most complain about, along with a less than stellar remote. Although I don't really understand the complaints about the remote, as I don't have any real complaints with mine. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Chicken
Level 7

"atc98092" wrote:
"Chicken" wrote:
"atc98092" wrote:

There's talk of a new version of the Shield in the works, but no idea if it's really much different than the current version. There's indications it has an upgraded CPU/GPU, but no idea if they are adding things like Dolby Vision or support for YouTube HDR. Those are really the only two issues that most complain about, along with a less than stellar remote. Although I don't really understand the complaints about the remote, as I don't have any real complaints with mine. 

Do you know if it's possible to cast to shield from VLC?
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

I've never used casting from anything to anything, other than a few times testing it from an Android phone to a Roku Ultra. That worked fine, but it was two years ago. With updates to both the Roku and Android firmware, I can't say it still works the same. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Chicken
Level 7

I just tested Chromecast with the internet disconnected, it chimps out too.  So this isn't for me, either.
0 Kudos
Chicken
Level 7

"atc98092" wrote:
I've never used casting from anything to anything, other than a few times testing it from an Android phone to a Roku Ultra. That worked fine, but it was two years ago. With updates to both the Roku and Android firmware, I can't say it still works the same. 

I'm looking for portability, something that still works in places where there's no internet.  An HDMI display cable seems to be the only option.
0 Kudos
trekkeriii
Level 10

"Chicken" wrote:
"atc98092" wrote:

I'm looking for portability, something that still works in places where there's no internet.  An HDMI display cable seems to be the only option.

I personally would look into a cheap Mini Form Factor PC to use as an HTPC at this point. Just download whatever content you want to a portable drive and play it. Add Windows versions of the Netflix, Hulu, etc apps, then you can download the Offline versions of that content as well. Plex even has an Offline Mode via the Windows App. I use my laptop as my portable home theater.gaming system, so basically that's how I do Streaming Offline if needed. Roku is an online always device, it even streams the channel store (because of the limited storage). Maybe Roku will come out with a device designed for offline viewing (assuming they can work out the download rights from the Studios/Content Providers) with enough storage to do so (or a way to use USB drive for storage), but Roku is pretty much an online only device as it's primary function is Internet Streaming. FYI we use Mini Form Factors at work, and they are great, performance wise. No problems viewing High Graphic XRays and such on them, but you will spend the price of a PC.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos
Chicken
Level 7

"trekkeriii" wrote:
"Chicken" wrote:
"atc98092" wrote:

I personally would look into a cheap Mini Form Factor PC to use as an HTPC at this point. Just download whatever content you want to a portable drive and play it. Add Windows versions of the Netflix, Hulu, etc apps, then you can download the Offline versions of that content as well. Plex even has an Offline Mode via the Windows App. I use my laptop as my portable home theater.gaming system, so basically that's how I do Streaming Offline if needed. Roku is an online always device, it even streams the channel store (because of the limited storage). Maybe Roku will come out with a device designed for offline viewing (assuming they can work out the download rights from the Studios/Content Providers) with enough storage to do so (or a way to use USB drive for storage), but Roku is pretty much an online only device as it's primary function is Internet Streaming. FYI we use Mini Form Factors at work, and they are great, performance wise. No problems viewing High Graphic XRays and such on them, but you will spend the price of a PC.

I need to look into this, for sure.  I didn't expect it would be so difficult to find something flexible, robust and stable.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Here's a rather unexpected deal. A fanless, WIndows 10 Pro small form factor PC for $125. Atom x5 processor, 4GB ram, 64GB SSD or SD card, can't tell which. Support 4K video, Gigabit Ethernet and dual-band 802.11N wireless. Also supports Bluetooth. Considering the OS alone would cost you $100, that's a heck of a deal. Use Kodi or something similar for your theater interface, add a wireless mouse and keyboard, and you have a complete system for under $150. With VGA and HDMI out, you can connect it to virtually any display. Since it's a full , legal install of Windows 10 Pro, you can install almost anything you need. With nothing mechanical inside (no fan or hard drive spinning), it would be dead silent and almost unbreakable. Almost... Smiley LOL
Dan
0 Kudos
ghb51
Level 9

You can even get them in stick form for even more portability, I've been thinking about getting one for a while, so if you decide to get one please come back and let us if you like it or not.
0 Kudos