Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chicken
Level 7

"An Unexpected Problem"

I'm still wasting my time trying to get RMP to work with DLNA, perhaps I should just give up on this idea totally?  I've already bought and tested a Chromecast that works great for this.....  IOW, is the solution just use Chromecast instead?  Perhaps I need to spend more time learning how to use Chromecast, maybe I can find a user interface that provides onscreen surfing?

Next up, testing an android TV device.
0 Kudos
26 Replies
Chicken
Level 7

Re: "An Unexpected Problem"

"File Not Playable" - This file will play 3 times then the 4th time it won't, same with all the files.  If I wait some period of time (about 10 minutes?) I can play  the file again.

Works fine when accessing the file from an Android or Windows Media Player, in this case I then cast it to a Chromecast device and wha-la there it is on my big screen.

And talk about picky, an MKV file I have has Dolby 5.1 and that takes a little extra effort whereas on other platforms it's totally seamless.  WUWT?
0 Kudos
ghb51
Level 8

You might take a look at the support page for RMP if you haven't already, it lists the tested dlna servers and supported media types.
0 Kudos
Chicken
Level 7

"ghb51" wrote:
You might take a look at the support page for RMP if you haven't already, it lists the tested dlna servers and supported media types.

It lists ReadyDLNA, doesn't specify which hardware platform.  I think Roku doesn't work, plain and simple.  Everything else I've tried (aside from Roku) does work.  The closest I've come to using Roku (Whats the love affair with DLNA all about, anyway?) is with an Android DLNA server but I'd hoped not to maintain an Android device specifically to support Roku, there's no mileage in that concept.

Can't even cast to Roku reliably.  I'd be remiss if I didn't strongly say Roku is a fantastic internet streamer. it's robust in this respect.  Perhaps DIAL is the reason?
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 10

Yes.  Just use the chromecast.  If it's what works, and you own one, then have at it man.
0 Kudos
Chicken
Level 7

"twiceover" wrote:
Yes.  Just use the chromecast.  If it's what works, and you own one, then have at it man.

I don't appreciate the user interface of Chromecast much, but I'm looking into that.
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 10

"Chicken" wrote:
"twiceover" wrote:

I don't appreciate the user interface of Chromecast much, but I'm looking into that.

You mean it not having one...  Or a remote for that matter?  Maybe a FireTV stick is more what you need?
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

I have zero issues using Serviio as my DLNA server and playing to numerous Roku TVs and players. Of course, I've assisted the Serviio developer with creating Roku specific profiles that so far are working quite well for many people. I think ReadyDLNA doesn't list a platform because it supports multiple OSs, as does Plex, Serviio, Emby, and others. For NAS devices, the critical issue is ensuring that either your media doesn't require transcoding or having a NAS with enough CPU power to support transcoding. 
I like DLNA because it doesn't require a dedicated app across numerous devices. My Smart TVs, Blu Ray players, Roku devices and Nvidia Shield all see it and play just fine. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
ghb51
Level 8

"Chicken" wrote:
"ghb51" wrote:

It lists ReadyDLNA, doesn't specify which hardware platform.  I think Roku doesn't work, plain and simple.  Everything else I've tried (aside from Roku) does work.  The closest I've come to using Roku (Whats the love affair with DLNA all about, anyway?) is with an Android DLNA server but I'd hoped not to maintain an Android device specifically to support Roku, there's no mileage in that concept.

Can't even cast to Roku reliably.  I'd be remiss if I didn't strongly say Roku is a fantastic internet streamer. it's robust in this respect.  Perhaps DIAL is the reason?

Fwiw I think Readydlna is just Netgears name for minidlna and I use minidlna on my router and it works ok with RMP. The only thing I can think of is to go over your Readydlna settings just to make everything is copasetic, I'm sure you've already done that but measure twice etc as they say, couldn't hurt to check again. And there's an RMP beta program currently being run by RokuChris I think, you might see about joining that, maybe something in the beta will get things up and running.
0 Kudos
Chicken
Level 7

"ghb51" wrote:
"Chicken" wrote:
"ghb51" wrote:

Fwiw I think Readydlna is just Netgears name for minidlna and I use minidlna on my router and it works ok with RMP. The only thing I can think of is to go over your Readydlna settings just to make everything is copasetic, I'm sure you've already done that but measure twice etc as they say, couldn't hurt to check again. And there's an RMP beta program currently being run by RokuChris I think, you might see about joining that, maybe something in the beta will get things up and running.

Yeah I've been all through the router of course, pulling my hair out over here.  Granted the Netgear router is no powerhouse DLNA server by any stretch but it always works reliably serving to the Android as player or Android casting to the Chromecast as player, even the MKV file with 5.1 Dolby has no audio hiccups (Roku requiresTV decodes the 5.1, I believe?).
It's not that the Roku doesn't work at all, it does work, except maybe 50% of the time it wont.  Same file set I've been testing with, a few MP4's, an MKV, they all play on RMP but not reliably, as if a protocol handshake fails for whatever reason and then I have to wait for a timer or handshake reset (around 10 minutes, maybe longer) before they can be played again?  So transcoding issues don't seem likely since they do and have played using RMP.
Wish I could figure it out. Smiley Happy
0 Kudos