Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pkaboo1234
Roku Guru

Re: roku ultra displaying 1/4 of picture on tv screen

I went to Settings->System->Power. In Power, there was a box selected that said "after 20 minutes of no interaction" the Roku would shut off. I unclicked that box and I haven't had the 1/4 screen picture problem since.

0 Kudos
djk44883
Channel Surfer

@pkaboo1234 wrote:

I went to Settings->System->Power. In Power, there was a box selected that said "after 20 minutes of no interaction" the Roku would shut off. I unclicked that box and I haven't had the 1/4 screen picture problem since.

I've had that set since I've had my Roku, since it seemed to almost be an obvious default.  Yet, when it "wakes up", everything looks fine until start any video.  Yea it's alright if/when I reset stuff, but regularly resetting doesn't mean it's fixed if it's ongoing.

Enjoy your Roku experience.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

If you are unable to resolve the issue, can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing
-screenshot of what you are seeing

With more detailed information, we will be able to investigate and assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
djk44883
Channel Surfer

@RokuDanny-R wrote:

With more detailed information, we will be able to investigate and assist you further.

I did this about a month ago

https://community.roku.com/t5/Playback-Issues-Audio-Video-Power/OS-10-5-roku-ultra-4800-displaying-1...

...and ...I suppose it's still under investigation?  Or was it just suppose to make me feel better that "someone cared"?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@djk44883

Thanks for the follow up.

Can you please provide the make and model of your TV?

Once I have this information, I'll make sure to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

Sorry to piggyback here... I have this happening as well, on a 4K Roku Ultra 2020 hooked up to a 1080 Vizio M471I-A2 TV. This only started after upgrading to 10.5, though I only had the 4K for a few weeks prior to that so I don't have a good history. Unplugging the HDMI cable fixes the issue, as does unplugging the power cable. I mostly use the Plex media player app; the screen is normal when not playing anything, but as soon as I start playback the display switches to showing the video playback in "not quite" 1/4 of the screen, upper left, with the remainder in black.

NOTE: I also have a Roku Ultra from 2017 which does not exhibit the same issues, upgraded to 10.5 running on a last-model Panasonic plasma 1080p TV. No issues at all with that, running Plex or other apps. This Roku was hooked to the Vizio above for years with no issues at all.

0 Kudos
pkaboo1234
Roku Guru

So far I haven't had any further issues with the 1/4 screen since I unclicked that box in the settings. I don't think it was "the fix", but it's working. I have noted lately I go to "home" and then shut the power off on the TV/Roku and when I turn the TV on, my screen saver is on when it should be showing the "home" screen. Not a big issue as I can then just go to "home", but obviously there are a lot of bugs with this 4k Roku device. Never had a problem with the streamig stick I had but it was aged and working slowly, hence the upgrade. You'd think Roku would have these issues figured out by now as I've seen some posts on here that were older and describing the same 1/4 screen issue. Happy streaming to you! 

0 Kudos
stanbaker
Reel Rookie

I'm getting this on my 4800X.  It seems to be related to HDMI, because it happens whenever I switch inputs on the TV.  My Roku is on HDMI 1 and my FireTV stick is on HDMI 2 on my LG 4k.

If I turn on the TV with the Roku, so that the TV starts on HDMI 1 (and the Roku), then everything is fine.  If I switch to HDMI 2, then switch back, the video playback on any of my apps on the Roku play in the small window in the upper left.  Even 4K video is reduced in size.  But the apps' user interfaces are fine.  Just the actual video playback is in the small window.

Rebooting the Roku while the TV is on HDMI 1 clears the issue.  I'm guessing because that re-initializes the HDMI connection.

I think maybe the Roku video playback engine needs to do some sort of HDMI connection initialization sort of thing at start of video playback.

0 Kudos

Has any solution been found for this 1/4 screen problem?

I could load up my Roku device sn and tv sn number if asked for it but from looking at the posts of people that did this I can't find where Roku provided a solution.

So I went to one comment of go to:  Settings > System> Power ( for me it was reset) and the tv now shows the full screen. Does not fix the problem but does get it back to full screen. 

Roku what is causing this? I have read other posts that say it is old videos but that simply is not true. I watch old vids and new vids and it still switches to 1/4 screen . Thanks 

0 Kudos
djk44883
Channel Surfer

Yes, I've responded with the information requested -- never received any type of response.

As with others, I can "make it go away" ...just to re-occur, regularly.  Making it go away temporarily is not fixing anything from my perspective.

There is a comment about a "Roku video playback engine".    I'm using Roku media as a media player, the HDMI connectivity or video driver, should be integrated with the OS. 

0 Kudos