Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tunaboat
Reel Rookie

picture size, I only have a small picture in the corner of my screen

I am only getting a small picture in the upper left hand corner of my tv screen when using my roku stick. It is like a picture in a picture but I do not have that feature. How can I get a full screen when I use the roku? I guess I should have went with a different brand so I could get the help I need. If I cannot get a full picture I'll return the roku and get a better streaming device.

0 Kudos
34 REPLIES 34
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: picture size, I only have a small picture in the corner of my screen

I've seen a number of these complaints but have yet to see any solutions or even suggestions. So all I can do is pass along a speculation.

It sounds to me like the Roku is sending a picture at a lower resolution than the tv is capable of, but the tv is not upscaling it, like an HD signal being displayed un-upscaled in a 4K tv. Have you tried experimenting with the Roku Display type setting (Settings > Display type) to see if a different setting fixes it?

Also, every tv set I'm familiar with upscales lower resolution signals it's capable of receiving automatically. Is there some setting on the tv itself that will enable or prevent the set from upscaling a lower resolution setting?

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
tunaboat
Reel Rookie

Thank you so much for replying. I am not very tech savoy but I think during the original set up I missed something. I ended up  resetting something unplugged it waited then plugged it back in and it worked, I now have a full picture!

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

I'm glad you got your problem solved, but unfortunately we didn't learn anything that will help the next person that comes in with the same problem.

Stay safe and healthy!

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
captain12

I had the same issue, but I tried what you did and just unplugged it for a few minutes. When I plugged it back in and turned everything on again, that seemed to do the trick! So it seems like just unplugging it for a bit does the trick. 

Lrush

I just got the Roku express and I’m having the same problem with my TV downstairs. If anyone has a clue what to look for to adjust I sure would appreciate it. I’ve tried the display setting and unplugged it for a couple minutes but I’m still only getting that small screen up in the left-hand corner.

0 Kudos

I need help Having a small picture problem in the corner of my screen 

0 Kudos
cb1716
Reel Rookie

I have the same problem. Also videos will play for a minute or two and the whole roku will reset to the home screen, doesn't matter if it's amazon video or sling tv.  I tried a hard reset already, changing the aspect ratio, a soft reset, unplugging and plugging back in, all to no avail. Does anyone at roku want to explain why this is happening?

0 Kudos
Marylyle

Picture size too small

0 Kudos
cb1716
Reel Rookie

I figured it out: It was my hdmi cable. Just take it out of the tv and out of the roku and place it in again. Don't know why, but it works wayyyy better now. Hope this helps someone else too!