Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bmwbob89
Reel Rookie

one Roku color is faded no matter how I swap things around.

Hi I have 2 Rokus and one has poor color. I've swapped HDMI cables and the problem switches from one Roku to the other. Tried a different cable same issue. No matter how I switch things around the problem moves. So it doesn't seem to be the Roku the cable or the TV. On the start screen the purple color is faded on one. Any suggestions. 

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: one Roku color is faded no matter how I swap things around.

@bmwbob89 

Unless there's something mistyped, or other information missing, the issue is cable related. Whether that's the cable itself or the plug, I don't know.

You said you used different cables and the issue remains. So, do this.

Find a setup where the color is good. Mark that cable as good. Put a tag on it in some way. You have a good cable. Set the cable aside.

In its place, use another cable. Keep swapping out until you get one that works. Tag it. You now have two working cables. Set all other cables aside and only use those working cables going forward.

Does the issue reoccur? If not, you've solved it. If it does reoccur, let us know and we'll go from there.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
bmwbob89
Reel Rookie

Hi I tried that already. The thing that seems to be the problem are #1 and #3 HDMI ports on the TV. This does seem strange that 2 ports have bad quality. Its a Panasonic Plasma TV. I have an old TV I use for a monitor on this PC. I'm going to see if it has 2 HDMI ports and try them. It's an old Visio 32 inch. I'll update as this goes on. Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Many TVs allow some or all of the color/picture settings to be remembered independently for each input so that might be worth a look.

0 Kudos
bmwbob89
Reel Rookie

My TV does not have this option in the settings as far as I can tell. Thanks for the input.

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

So you have two Roku's plugged into one TV? How old is the TV? Are you comparing two different TV's and two different Rokus? Are the TV's the same model? Are the Roku's the same model? Are both TV's 720? 1080? Every single TV has the ability to fine tune the picture color. Using the OE remote

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Plasma TV's are junk and outdated. You can get an LED TV for cheap

0 Kudos
bmwbob89
Reel Rookie

Yes I have 3HDMI ports and 2 are occupied by identical Rokus. From what I can tell by swapping things back and forth between ports 2 of the 3 ports are slightly failing. When I'm on the Roku startup screen the purple is a bit faded on 2 of the ports. Not a huge deal just I'm a bit **bleep**. TV has some years on it but works fine otherwise. 

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Why on earth would anyone need 2 Roku devices plugged into the same TV? That is probably the issue. If your TV is a plasma TV is is at least 10 years old. Throw it out already Smiley LOL You can buy a TCL Roku TV for cheap. And it's LED

0 Kudos