Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

no video output

I have had the same issue now with two different Roku devices, a Roku 4 and a Roku Ultra.

I have a pretty simple setup:

• LG 4k TV
  • Onyko Receiver
  • Roku Ultra 4670X

The receiver has other devices attached to different inputs (Record player, PC, Playstation).

When switching inputs back to the Roku, it will often occur that I will get audio, but no video.  The TV indicates no video signal.  When I fist got my Roku 4, it did not happen often, but it happened more and more.  A factory reset made it happen less, but it got worse again.  I replaced the 4 with an Ultra and now it is happening again.

I will say it happens most often when launching the Youtube app when casting from a phone, but switching to the roku input by any means can cause it.

The only fix I have is to reboot the roku, then it works fine for a little while.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: no video output

My first suspicion is that the HDMI cable isn't rated at 18 Gbps. When I had a Roku 4 with my Samsung TV, it was just fine with 4K material. However, when I replaced it with the Ultra, I immediately had video issues. They were resolved after I replaced the HDMI cable from the Roku to the Yamaha and the Yamaha to the TV with Amazon Basics certified cables. I paid less than $10 for both, and never had a video issue since. 

The Ultra supports HDR, which the 4 did not. That alone requires the higher rated bandwidth cables. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos