Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bksi
Level 7

no sound using optical to rca

My venerable vintage Pioneer receiver bit the dust and I've just hooked up husband's Harman Kardon.

Previous setup had my Sony Brava TV connections with HDMI to Roku, optical to optical-to-rca-converter.  The converter went to r/l inputs on an extra "VDP" connection on the Pioneer.  Speakers hooked to the Pioneer.  Everything used to work just dandy with sound from a Roku show playing thru my speakers.

I've emulated the same wiring to the Harmon Kardon - there is no "VDP" so I chose "Video 1" for the converter's rca hookup.  Also tried the "Video 2"

No sound.  I can hear the speakers buzzing.

Any help appreciated
0 Kudos
3 Replies
atc98092
Level 16

Re: no sound using optical to rca

That's a tough one to troubleshoot remotely. It sounds like you might not have the correct input selected on the H/K. Forgive the basic discussion, but just plugging the cables in doesn't switch the H/K to the correct input. If you remove one of the analog cables from the converter and touch the tip with your finger, it should make an audible noise in the speakers. If it doesn't, you haven't selected the correct input. If it does, then there's something amiss with the converter. Don't know if there's any settings on the converter, and make sure it didn't come unplugged with all the cable handling. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
bksi
Level 7

@atc98092

No it definitely is the correct cabling from the converter to the HK.  One of the cables croaks when I attempt to take it off.  I think it must be the HK.

After much discussion, husband brought some old speakers out of storage and hooked them up.  We tried the FM and AM radio and expected at least some static but nothing.  Completely independent of the whole tv/roku thing.

It's hard to believe my old Pioneer died and then my husband's HK died immediately after.

thanks
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Yep, electronics can pack it in without notice. I guess it's time for a nice new AVR with HDMI inputs for you! Merry Christmas!  Smiley Very Happy Fortunately, you don't have to spend a whole lot on a reasonable AVR. I hope you can find one that fits your budget. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos