Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
okaussie3
Level 9

no Dolby 5.1 on Streaming Stick +

I just purchased an Insignia NS-43D420NA18.  No where in the manual does it state what version the HDMI ports are.  What is the version required by ROKU and what is the version on my new TV to use the Dolby 5.1 function.

I have tried all combinations on the ROKU without success. I have the PASS THRU function set on the TV.   I am using Fiber optics to my AVR.  It does not have HDMI connections.  I have another device on another HDMI port, TV set for Pass Thru, and my AVR sees it in Dolby..

TIA

Bill
0 Kudos
10 Replies
atc98092
Level 16

Re: no Dolby 5.1 on Streaming Stick +

HDMI version has nothing to do with audio. Version 1.4 or even earlier will pass DD with no issue. HDMI 2.0 is required for 4K/60 video, but you shouldn't have any issues with audio.
Any chance you have Volume Leveling enabled, or Night Mode? Both of those modes force the audio into stereo only. 
What are you watching that you believe should be 5.1? If it's Amazon or Netflix, the issue might be that those use Dolby Digital Plus, and not all TVs accept that codec. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
okaussie3
Level 9

I did find, last night, that with Netflix I have to switch the audio, within the movie, from English Description 5.1 to English Description.  This forces the movie to play in stereo.  My new TV is in stereo and I had no audio whatsoever on Netflix until I made this adjustment during a movie.

I have Direct TV on another of the HDMI ports.  Tried a movie there and went into Dolby 5.1 on my AVR.  Then switched to ROKU for the same movie.  Dolby light did not come on on the AVR.  I got PL as well as DSP.  The TV states having DTS when you turn it on, however my AVR has never sensed it.

I also have a DVR player on another HDMI port.  No problems with it and Dolby either...
0 Kudos
okaussie3
Level 9

As to the settings of my receiver:  It does have Night Mode and it is turned OFF, always has been.  As far as the leveling mode, my receiver does not have that. Therefore I assume that ROKU sees that as OFF as well.  It is using fiber from the TV to the AVR.  The power for the ROKU comes from the USB port in the TV without the long cord, just the short one..
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 10

"okaussie3" wrote:
As to the settings of my receiver:  It does have Night Mode and it is turned OFF, always has been.  As far as the leveling mode, my receiver does not have that. Therefore I assume that ROKU sees that as OFF as well.  It is using fiber from the TV to the AVR.  The power for the ROKU comes from the USB port in the TV without the long cord, just the short one..

See: https://support.roku.com/article/226802507-how-do-i-use-volume-modes-on-my-roku-streaming-device-
Enable volume modes during playback

When streaming a movie or TV show, or watching content from another device on your Roku TV (e.g., cable set-top box, Blu-ray™ player), you can enable Automatic Volume Leveling or Night Mode from the options menu as described below.

1. Start playback.

2. Press the Star button star button on Roku remote on your Roku remote.

3. Select Advanced sound settings.

4. Use the directional pad to switch Volume mode to the desired setting. The directional pad is plus-shaped and is in the center of your Roku remote.

• Off: Volume modes are inactive and content volume is unmodified.

• Leveling: Enables consistent volume across different types of entertainment so you do not have to change the volume every time you switch channels or a commercial comes on.

• Night: The volume of soft sounds like whispering is increased while the volume of loud sounds like explosions is decreased, making it easier to hear your TV at night without disturbing others.

Note: In some streaming channels, the Star button star button on Roku remote is assigned a different function meaning it will not open the options menu as described above. In these cases, you must launch a different channel, such as The Roku Channel, and follow the steps above. Once the volume mode is switched, the setting will remain when you return to the original channel.

So, is Leveling on or off?
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
okaussie3
Level 9

Leveling is OFF..  Still Stereo to the AVR.  TV is on Pass Through..
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Having a DTS icon on the TV doesn't mean it will accept it from an external source, unfortunately. My Roku TVs both have DTS sound processing, but neither will accept DTS audio from my media files. It's only for internal processing.
My guess is that your TV can't process the DD+ that Netflix uses. When you switch the audio during playback, you're switching from DD+ to Stereo, and now you get sound. Your DirecTV box is outputting standard DD, which your TV can process. Unfortunately, you're stuck with stereo from Netflix and Amazon unless you connect the Stick+ directly to an HDMI input of an AVR that supports DD+. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
okaussie3
Level 9

I figured as much.  My AVR is a Kenwood VR-507 and was purchased in 2002.  It has been an excellent AVR over the years.  However, due to the new technology, it is out of date and should be replaced.

I guess until then, I am going to have to use the CS 5.1, PL, and stereo when using the ROKU and DOLBY on everything else.  MY AVR only has Fiber optics and no HDMI ports.

TIA

Bill
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 8

The only way to get Netflix 5.1 to the AVR from the Roku is to first set the Audio Hdmi setting to DD+, since it appears your TV does not advertise DD+. Now Netflix will give you the option to select 5.1 audio. Which you will also need to do when playing a Netflix movie.
This will cause the Roku to send DD+5.1 to the TV.
Now we will hope that the TV will convert the DD+ coming from the Roku to DD before sending it out the optical-spdif connector to the AVR.
0 Kudos
okaussie3
Level 9

The ROKU was set for English description 5.1 initially within Netflix.  I had no audio on the TV as well as the AVR.  When I switched it to English Description, I had stereo to the TV and to the AVR.

When the TV first comes up the screen advertises that it has DTS.  My other devices that are HDMI ie DirectTv box and my DVD player, all send Dolby thru the TV out the optical cable to the AVR without issue.  That is why I think there is something to do with the ROKU.
I have tried all kinds of options within the ROKU Audio section of settings without any luck.
I have been sticking with the ROKU with the settings issue since the other devices work properly, including the TV.
I think I am just going to have to bite the bullet and get a new AVR with the HDMI ports and plug the ROKU into it instead of the TV..
I will attempt what you suggest and report back..

Bill
0 Kudos