Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MPWhite
Reel Rookie

Re: must reset roku every time I want to wach

Jump to solution

@renojim wrote:

@MPWhite, if you're using the TV's USB port for power and not the supplied power adapter, use the supplied power adapter.  If that doesn't help, it's time to return it.

Step by step instructions for returns and warranty replacements | Official Roku Support

I was not using the built in USB as I had read on YouTube not to do so, but I just moved the power adapter from the power-strip it was plugged into and inserted it directly into the wall socket. As you message made me think "what if", I will see if that makes any difference. I thank you very much for your reply; it is greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
MPWhite
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@renojim wrote:

@MPWhite, if you're using the TV's USB port for power and not the supplied power adapter, use the supplied power adapter.  If that doesn't help, it's time to return it.

As it turned out it was indeed a bad power strip.  The socket I had plugged the power adapter into was indeed bad all of the others on the strip checked out "ok", except the one I was using.   I now have the power adapter plugged directly into the wall socket and all is perfect!

0 Kudos
eagle1288
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

HI, I'm having the same problem and mine is pluged into the wall so mine is not the same issue.  I have a Express 4K+ model 3941X.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@eagle1288 

Try pressing the Home button on your Roku remote to "wake" the device or try disabling the Automatic power savings feature of the Roku Express 4k/4k+. (Settings/System/Power/Auto Power Savings/disable 20 min feature.)

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
eagle1288
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

The problem isn't that the divise isn't awake, when I try to go into one of the channels is when it gives me the error and yes I've tried many times to return to home and it gives me the same error, also tried turning off the roku and turn it back on same thing it gives me the error.  So far the only way to clear it is to unplug the roku wait atleast 10 sec and plug it back in, then I can watch my channels.  Then the next day same thing it gives me the error.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@eagle1288 

Did you try disabling the Auto Power Savings feature yet? (Settings/System/Power/Auto Power Savings/disable 20 min feature)

You also mentioned "gives me the error".  Are you actually getting an error message?

If more of a frozen Roku device, try the power savings setting first.  Then try using the Roku Remote app available in the Play/Apple Stores.  Take the batteries out of your Roku remote, and use the mobile app as a remote.  It could be a bad physical Roku Remote.

Maybe a little more detail in exactly what is happening may help with suggestions.  Need to be "speaking the same language" in regards to terms. (ie. there is no way to turn a Roku device "off" other than unplugging it.  The power button on the Roku remote, as well as the volume buttons, are solely for TV controls, and has no affect on the Roku device.)

If you can provide more details, can maybe see if this is a device or settings issue.

0 Kudos
eagle1288
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Yes I turned the 20 min off a long time ago and I did check it's still off.

The error I get is a pu.rple screen.  It also says how to reset it, which is what I have been doing.

HDCP Error Detected

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@eagle1288 

Ahhh.  The dreaded HDCP error message.  This is a bit different than the other postings discussed in this thread.

For this issue, the recommended troubleshooting is to disable power savings (which you have done), try another HDMI cable, or try using another HDMI port on your TV.  Both the TV and the Roku device have to complete a test(query) and answer (response).  The other thing that can be a contributing factor is if you are using the TV USB port for power rather than the included power adapter. (which you are not). Sounds like the device is just losing its HDMI handshake with the TV when trying to play content, triggering the HDCP error.

The Restart you are performing by unplugging the Roku device is re-establishing this handshake (query-response) when trying to play content.  I would try an alternate HDMI port and new HDMI cable as initial troubleshooting.  The query is initiated by the Roku device and is not liking the answer from your TV.

Here is Roku's official support steps re: the HDCP error (https://support.roku.com/article/208755468), but one of the above is most often used to address this issue.

0 Kudos
eagle1288
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Okay thanks, my wife said the HDMI cable so I did buy one today, also was told to do a total reset on the roku, so when I came home I did that and put on the new cable.  I'll give this a week or so to see if it works.  If not I will try another HDMI port.

mbraley46

Jump to solution

How did you reset Roku? I can't find how to do it.

0 Kudos