Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
barchief
Level 7

movies play from USB stick but not DLNA server on NAS

Hey there...  love my Roku but I have an annoying issue.. I have quite a few movies stored on my WD My Book Live, which has a built in DLNA server...  

The problem is that my Roku only sees about 35% of the movies when I access them through the Roku Media Player.  If I take one of the movies that is not showing up and copy it to a USB stick, the Roku Media Player sees it just fine, so I know it is not a file format issue.

I don't think that it is a DLNA server issue either, as I have other devices in the house (XBOX one, PlayerXtreme on my ipad) that see the files and play them just fine.  

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
atc98092
Level 17

Re: movies play from USB stick but not DLNA server on NAS

The way DLNA works is the server and the player make a decision about what the player supports, and only shows that media to the user. It's still a DLNA server issue, even if it works correctly on other devices. You didn't say what DLNA server software you're using. I don't know what the My Book uses, but it's obviously not Roku savvy, so it doesn't recognize what is playable. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
barchief
Level 7

I will have to let you know what software it is... it used to be Twonky,  but I think that was changed a while back,  the weird thing is that is (Roku) sees some of them, but only about 35% of them.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 17

@barchief wrote:

I will have to let you know what software it is... it used to be Twonky,  but I think that was changed a while back,  the weird thing is that is (Roku) sees some of them, but only about 35% of them.

Yeah, the DLNA server isn't telling the Roku accurately what it can play. I doubt you can install any other DLNA server on the NAS, so you may be stuck with it unless you want to use a DLNA server on a computer. You can still use the NAS as the media storage, but have the server actually run from a computer. Naturally, that means the computer always has to be running, but that's what I do with all my computers anyway. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
dgrace
Level 11

Seems that many of these types of devices have shoddy dlna built in. I don't use it, but my router shows as a dlna server, with attached storage, but it too only shows a small portion of the media files. I looked into it for a bit then gave up. I just run my desktop and stream from that, when desired.

"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
0 Kudos