Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
travisr912
Level 7

iPad to Roku Ultra - Movie will not play over Airplay

I have an iPad Pro with a few downloaded movies on it, they are not from iTunes but have been imported into my iTunes library. 

When I try to Airplay them to an Apple TV they play fine. 

When I try to Airplay them to the Roku I get an error on the iPad:

"This video is in a format that can't be streamed to this TV"

How can I get around this? What format should I ensure the videos are formatted to. 

These are backups of my DVD collection. 

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10\
StreamerUser
Level 20

Re: iPad to Roku Ultra - Movie will not play over Airplay

You didnt state your model # or firmware version.

If its only a few movies imported into iTunes, they could be a in a codec/compression/container format not supported on Roku (maybe provide more information about those particular files)

Its also possible this is DRM-related and happens if the AirPlay2 receiver doesnt have a network/internet connection - make sure your Ultra does.

Its probably best to post this over in the Apple support forums.

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

I'm not disagreeing with what @StreamerUser said, and I think he's got the problem identified. What did you use to rip the movie to iTunes? I have had good success with Handbrake, using one of the Apple TV or iTunes (can't remember which) presets, not an iPad preset. Maybe rip one out that way, if you didn't, and see if that movie plays. If it will play on all your devices, you may want to re-rip the movies.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
travisr912
Level 7

Thanks guys, I think you are correct on the formatting. I asked in the Apple forum but they were not much help since it works fine with Apple TV. It's got to be a format issue with the container of the files. 

Is there a reference on what settings I should rip the DVD's to instead of trial and error?

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 20

https://support.roku.com/article/208754908

Supported media file types

Different Roku devices support different formats. Newer firmware may support additional formats. The type of audio formats supported is dependent on the type of TV or A/V receiver your Roku device is connected to. Formats supported by your Roku device can be viewed by accessing the ?/Help pages from the Media Device and the Media Type selection screens.

The following file formats are supported:

• Video – H.264/AVC (.MKV, .MP4, .MOV)
  • Audio – AAC (.MKV, .MP4, .MOV); MP3(.MP3, .MKV); WMA (.ASF, .WMA, .MKV), FLAC (.FLAC, .MKV), PCM (.WAV, .MKV, .MP4, .MOV), AC3/EAC3 (.MKV,.MP4. .MOV, .AC3), DTS (.MKV, .MP4, .MOV,.DTS), ALAC (.MKV, .MP4, .MOV, .M4A), Vorbis (.OGG,.MKV,.WEBM)
  • Playlists –.M3U, .M3U8, .PLS
  • Image – JPG, PNG, GIF (non-animated)

The following media formats are supported on Roku devices that support 4K

• 4K Video – H.265/HEVC (.MKV, .MP4, .MOV); VP9 (.MKV, .WEBM)
  • 4K Video – H.264 (Roku Premiere, Premiere+, and Ultra only)

The following media formats are supported on Roku TVs and some Roku players

• Video – H.262 (.MKV)

Notes:

• The Roku Media Player channel will not display unsupported file types or files it has determined cannot be played by your Roku device.
  • DRM-protected content is not supported.

I would use this as your parameters and work from there.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 20

An Airplay2 update (1.14.104) was released today (5/25) - check for updates (Settings/System/System updates/Check now) and test your AP connections again.

0 Kudos
Tutkovic
Level 7

Same issue here. I don’t think it’s an issue of video format as I’m able to copy the files to a usb and then play the files directly from the usb on the TCl roku tv. It just doesn’t work via airplay. I’ve tried several different profiles in Handbrake (all of the Roku presets) and the result is exactly the same. Works perfectly streamed to an Apple TV.  Never has worked a single time to Roku tv

roku tv c164x

tcl model 55s431

sw ver 10.0.0 build 4209-93

0 Kudos
Tutkovic
Level 7

more info that points to a problem with the Apple TV app rather than Roku

1.  Take a short video on the iPhone.

2. Using the camera app, play the video, share via Airplay to Roku.  It works

3. Go to iCloud on a PC and download that very same video and put it into the iTunes library.  Sync the video to your iPhone so that it now shows up in the Apple TV app (Library->Home Videos or Downloaded)

4. Play the video (it works on the iphone).  Try to now stream via Airplay.  Doens't work.  "This video is in a format that can't be streamed to this TV."

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 20

@Tutkovic 

Does the video appear/play in the Roku Apple TV app (7.0.126)?

Might be better to play it natively than via AirPlay.

0 Kudos
Tutkovic
Level 7

Thanks for the response.

The videos I'm trying to stream are 'home movies' not stuff that's been purchased.  Either ripped from DVDs or converted from old VHS. 

When I look at the Apple TV app on the Roku, (Library), only stuff I've previously purchased from the Apple store shows up there.  As far as I know, Home Movie - type videos don't get pushed up to the cloud for viewing via the Roku Apple TV app.  Certainly, if that was possible, I'd give it a try so if there's something I'm missing, please let me know.  Thanks!

0 Kudos