Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

hot to touch

Jump to solution

Setup my Roku streaming stick + yesterday.  Only took 45 mins, went to switch tv back to dish, tv ended up freezing up.  So I went to unplug the roku stick, it was almost too hot to touch! Everything the Roku stick was doing was fine, just worried if it's overheating, it will fry my ports on my TV if left plugged in too long.  Roku Streaming Stick + (3810, 3811 series)   #magnavoxTV  #overheat

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: hot to touch

Jump to solution

@Cwats05 

Thanks for the note.

It's fairly normal for your device to get warm during use, but if you are seeing a message on screen mentioning overheating, there are a few things you can do to help.

For more information visit our Support page here: What should I do if the red light is on or I see a “Your device is overheating” warning?

I'd recommend ordering a free HDMI extender from our website and seeing if that resolved your issue.

Keep us posted if there are any other questions we can help answer! 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Level 18

Jump to solution

Get a short HDMI cable female to male or Extender between the stick and TV

to air it out a bit.

Its a computer and computers do emit heat. Its normal.

However, if it shoots sparks melts and starts a fire get back to us.

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@Cwats05 

Thanks for the note.

It's fairly normal for your device to get warm during use, but if you are seeing a message on screen mentioning overheating, there are a few things you can do to help.

For more information visit our Support page here: What should I do if the red light is on or I see a “Your device is overheating” warning?

I'd recommend ordering a free HDMI extender from our website and seeing if that resolved your issue.

Keep us posted if there are any other questions we can help answer! 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Level 7

Jump to solution

We have gotten the free HDMI extender for our Roku sticks and it isn’t making any difference. The heat appears to be when it is plugged into the electric.