Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shmelvin
Level 7

gray/white snowy screen

50% of the time when I switch inputs from TV to Roku I get a gray/white snowy screen and the only way to fix it is to pull the power plug from the Roku and immediately put it back in again to re-start. I tried 2 different TV's, and both having the same issue. it seems to have gotten much worse since the 8.0.1 update...Any ideas?
0 Kudos
53 Replies
Bacon
Level 9

Re: gray/white snowy screen

I and others have reported the same thing. No word from Roku yet.
0 Kudos
mbellaire
Level 7

I have had similar experiences with the gray/white screen, also had the main menu flashing and no display at all.  I ended up reverting back to 8.0.0.
0 Kudos
jdshaw
Level 7

I have the same problem. Need to pull power and reboot every day. What is going on?
0 Kudos
Bacon
Level 9

"mbellaire" wrote:
I have had similar experiences with the gray/white screen, also had the main menu flashing and no display at all.  I ended up reverting back to 8.0.0.

Did you have to contact Roku to revert?
Pulling the HDMI cable and plugging it back in should fix it. I don't have to reboot when it happens, but it's still super annoying. I've also noticed the overlay UI on apps is now slightly off center during video playback. Very sloppy.
0 Kudos
jdshaw
Level 7

Does Roku know about this issue? Is there a fix?
0 Kudos
mbellaire
Level 7

"Bacon" wrote:

No, I brought up the "secret menu" and an option to update to 8.0.0 was available.  Search the forum for the keystrokes to bring up.

My P+ updated to 8.0.1 on its own a day ago, so you can revert, but the Roku will update to the current firmware eventually.  8.0.1 has been ok so far, but it was hit and miss before so we'll see.
0 Kudos
Bacon
Level 9

"mbellaire" wrote:
"Bacon" wrote:

No, I brought up the "secret menu" and an option to update to 8.0.0 was available.  Search the forum for the keystrokes to bring up.

My P+ updated to 8.0.1 on its own a day ago, so you can revert, but the Roku will update to the current firmware eventually.  8.0.1 has been ok so far, but it was hit and miss before so we'll see.

I’m on 8.0.1. It’s when I noticed the issue.

Still having to pull the hdmi cord more than once a day...
0 Kudos
mbellaire
Level 7

8.0.1 worked for almost 2 days then the problem returned.
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

Please post your model and serial number and firmware build version (Settings > System > About)
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos