Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ollio
Level 7

flash drives-hub-playlist

m3u playlist work, but only the files on the drive the file is read from. I can't seem to change drives. I tried F: - I tried f:/filename. If I read the file from drive F; then it works but G: wont work etc. Making a playlist from VLC media player or winamp doesn't work either. My flash drives are lettered so they're the same all the time. The playlist works using the drives on the computer though. 
0 Kudos
15 Replies
CParker
Level 8

Re: flash drives-hub-playlist

Look at making an m3u playlist using RELATIVE file structure. You're using ABSOLUTE and that's almost never going to work when moving that flash drive from one device to another.
Chief Technology Officer, Barge Captain/mechanic/deckhand/dock hand, Cook, Lawn care and vehicle maintenance.
Yep.... I'm retired. :D
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 8

RMP support for .m3u playlists is intended to support files on the same volume. Cross volume playlists are not supported. I'll add that as a feature request though. One can, however, use http addresses if you have files available on a http server.
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 8

regarding playlists created by vlc or winamp, could you post a sample one here that doesn't work?
0 Kudos
Ollio
Level 7

Here's one made with Winamp:

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:3130,Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol (1962)
Z:\Cartoons\Christmas Cartoons\Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol (1962).mp4
#EXTINF:127,Brenda Lee - Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree
I:\Music\Christmas\Brenda Lee - 03 - Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree.mp3

If I place the m3u on drive Z; only Magoo shows up.. Run the same file placed on drive I; and only the song shows up..
0 Kudos
CParker
Level 8

If you create that m3U on your computer using absolute file paths, it's not going to play on a different device where it may be mounted with a different mount point (drive letter).

Look...

Simple M3U playlist with absolute filesystem path:

# This is a comment
   C:\My Music\Pink Floyd\1979---The_Wall_CD1\1.In_The_Flesh.mp3
   C:\My Music\Pink Floyd\1979---The_Wall_CD1\10.One_Of_My_Turns.mp3

Simple M3U playlist with relative filesystem path:

# This is a comment
   Pink Floyd\1979---The_Wall_CD1\1.In_The_Flesh.mp3
   Pink Floyd\1979---The_Wall_CD1\10.One_Of_My_Turns.mp3

What you're creating is and Extended m3u playlist, but the file path issue is still relevant...

Extended M3U playlist:

#EXTM3U 
   #EXTINF:199,Pink Floyd - In The Flesh
   R:\Music\Pink Floyd\1979---The_Wall_CD1\1.In_The_Flesh.mp3
   #EXTINF:217,Pink Floyd - One Of My Turns
   R:\Music\Pink Floyd\1979---The_Wall_CD1\10.One_Of_My_Turns.mp3

And as you've already discovered, the mount point of the device you plug the usb stick into makes a difference. Find the settings in VLC or whatever you're using to generate the playlist where you can tell it to create the list using RELATiVE file paths.

By doing this, you can create the stick and playlist on your computer and then go plug it into the Roku and it'll work. Or plug it into your Silverado and play Media on the fancy radio, or plug it into the usb port on your samsung TV and use smart hub to play media. It won't matter what device you plug it into because the file paths are RELATIVE and not specific to the machine on which the list was created. (Yes... I've done this and learned why to use relative paths.... and plugged it into my Roku, my truck, and my TV ... and it works in all of them)
Chief Technology Officer, Barge Captain/mechanic/deckhand/dock hand, Cook, Lawn care and vehicle maintenance.
0 Kudos
Ollio
Level 7

It works on the computer but not the Roku..I invented RELATIVE vs ABSOLUTE but as you can see I want it to work the way I intended.
0 Kudos
CParker
Level 8

OK. Have fun
0 Kudos
Ollio
Level 7

I added NOWHERE USB channel to the roku and it sees the drives. It lists the drive names and below the first drive name says EXT1:/
Below the 2nd drive says: EXT2:/

..and so on...
0 Kudos
Chicken
Level 7

"Ollio" wrote:
I added NOWHERE USB channel to the roku and it sees the drives. It lists the drive names and below the first drive name says EXT1:/
Below the 2nd drive says: EXT2:/

..and so on...

I think Roku isn't going to accomplish this, that's what I'm hearing from the peanut gallery here.
0 Kudos