Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ratso1
Level 7

do i have to use arc?

do I have to plug my Roku into the tv directly? can't I just plug my Roku stick + into the back hdmi input on my denon avr like any other device? I am trying to get around using arc audio return because it is a hassle and always seems to cause problems. my denon is fully hdmi 2.2 and 4K/hdr compliant. 
0 Kudos
2 Replies
jeffrok
Level 11

Re: do i have to use arc?

Sure, you can do it any way that works.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Re: do i have to use arc?

I even recommend doing it that way. Simplifies your audio path. However, make sure your Denon has all the settings correct for 4K HDR passthrough. You don't want the AVR to be modifying your video signal. In my Yamaha AVR, I had to change a setting to what was called Mode 1 before 4K HDR worked correctly.
One caution. Some people have had issues with Denon AVRs and 4K. if you encounter issues you may have to stick with the direct TV connection.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos