Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cookie59
Level 7

connector is always hot to the touch

Jump to solution

I have had nothing but issues since buying my ROKU device 2 years ago.  I have been sent several remotes to use and none of them work with the tv's.  Batteries in remotes shouldn't die after like 2-3 days.  Plus they have sent me extenders to use on the connector to the tv's to prevent them from getting too hot.  That hasn't worked either.  I have not had an error on screen for overheating issues, but when I go to unplug it, it's very hot, not warm. I won't leave them plugged in when not using TV.  I have also been thru 2 tv's using this device and am on my 3rd tv.  TV's worked fine until using these devices.  I don't understand why remotes won;t work and why the device gets so hot.  It is the most aggravating issue I've ever seen.  I don't even use it every day, usually on the weekends to catch up on shows I  missed during the week.  

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: connector is always hot to the touch

Jump to solution

@Cookie59 

Thanks for the note.

It's fairly normal for your device to get warm during use, but if you are seeing a message on screen mentioning overheating, there are a few things you can do to help.

For more information visit our Support page here: What should I do if the red light is on or I see a “Your device is overheating” warning?

Also, make sure you are using the included power cable and adapter that came with your device. Using different power adapters may cause unexpected behavior in some cases. 

Keep us posted if there are any other questions we can help answer!

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@Cookie59 

Thanks for the note.

It's fairly normal for your device to get warm during use, but if you are seeing a message on screen mentioning overheating, there are a few things you can do to help.

For more information visit our Support page here: What should I do if the red light is on or I see a “Your device is overheating” warning?

Also, make sure you are using the included power cable and adapter that came with your device. Using different power adapters may cause unexpected behavior in some cases. 

Keep us posted if there are any other questions we can help answer!

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
JAK1
Level 7

Jump to solution

This is the same problem with my Roku Streaming Stick.  When the device is left on with the power cord going to it the device is very hot.  When this happens, the remote does not work, either.  If I disconnect the Streaming Stick  from my sound bar and allow it to cool, the device and the remote will begin to work.  There is no warning of the hot condition on the TV nor on the remote when this happens.  Please advise if this is normal operation or if the Streaming Stick has developed problems.

Cookie59
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have written to ROKU several times on this subject.  They finally sent me an extender to add to the cable.  It still gets warm but not on the usb port to tv.  They sent me an outline of many things to try before giving me some answers.  It ended up being a faulty product I guess, as I did everything they asked me to try and still had some issues.  They sent me new one and I had to return the defective one.  Postage cost me nothing. they took care of it all.  You have many steps to go thru before they will consider this.  I am having no issues right now. Waiting to see if it lasts.  I would not buy this again.  

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@JAK1 

Thanks for the note.

I'd recommend ordering a free HDMI extender from our website and seeing if that resolved your issue.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos