Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tcw888
Level 7

closed captioning on mute

I use closed captions to only be on mute. Before the last update, 9.4.0 it used to turn itself off (CC) after I unmute.  Now I have to go to the menu and manually turn it off. Is this something everyone is getting? I only mute if the phone rings. 

17 Replies
Rtv
Level 7

Re: closed captioning on mute

Same thing happened to my set 

tcw888
Level 7

So the did a minor update yesterday on my Roku and now when I hit mute it stays on and in the menu it goes to Always on. Made it worse instead of better.

AlienSailor
Level 8

Experiencing same problem. Also finding the menu more difficult to read. This makes me sad.  Cat Sad

Rsbatem
Level 7

Same here on my TCL Roku TVs, closed captions will not turn off when mute is turned off, they now have to manually be turned off.  Come on Roku, do we really have to be like Microsoft and introduce bugs with updates?

MReDD05
Level 7

So this is not a fix, but there are devices that can basically take in an HDMI connection and output the same, but they allow you to inject CEC control as well as control and limit what CEC control is coming in. You have the option to allow CEC control to pass through or decide what you want to turn off. The coding for this is very simple and can be found online, you can basically just copy and paste and program it in via python2, Java, simple notepad text, etc... This actually would solve two issues, you could turn off the close captioning as well as allow the Roku to control more, for example when we were doing our testing we programmed one of the boxes so when the Roku received a button press that would wake up from sleep mode, it would send the on command to the display.

0 Kudos
llfull60
Level 8

Same thing just started happening to my tv.

0 Kudos
AlienSailor
Level 8

Uh-oh. Now I cannot get any captioning at all. When I press the asterisk button on the remote, there is no menu.

0 Kudos
AlienSailor
Level 8

Whew. It went back to the previous stage of broken.

0 Kudos
sweetleon
Level 7

Same here. Hopefully a fix is coming soon. Very annoying 

0 Kudos