Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sinatra
Level 7

choppy jagged colored screen

My ROKU is hooked up to an older type tv, not a flat screen tv.  I have it on another older tv and it works fine.  But on this one when I first turn it on it's all different colors and it is choppy and jagged.  Won't go no where from there.  If I push the netflix button it goes there and in about 30 seconds a movie comes on and it looks fine.  However can't get to where you can pick a movie.  Can't get it to go forward or backard.  If I go to HULA I can get to where you can pick out a movie.  And if I can manage to get to the home screen the left side of the writing is on the right side of the screen, can't see right side of home screen.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
atc98092
Level 15

Re: choppy jagged colored screen

What model Roku (not just the name) and what TV are you connecting to?

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Sinatra
Level 7

Not sure the model of the ROKU.   It's probably a year old or more.  It is not a stick.  It sits on top of tv with a midi cable and a power cable.  Is a toshiba tv, older type with picture tube.  I have the same set on two other newer tv's and also one on a very old rear screen projector tv and it works fine,  

0 Kudos
Sinatra
Level 7

I looked at some one line and I believe it is a ROKU Premeire.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

@Sinatra wrote:

I looked at some one line and I believe it is a ROKU Premiere.

There are four different Roku models with Premiere in their name. If you go to the Settings menu, select System/About and you'll see a model number. 4620, 4630, 3920, 3921. It might make a difference. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Sinatra
Level 7

3700X Roku Express

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

OK, I was wondering if it was an Express, since you have it connected to an older TV. I'm assuming you are using the analog connections (red, white and yellow RCA plugs). Most likely it's not a widescreen display, so first make sure your display settings are on 4:3, not 16:9. I don't have an Express, so not entirely sure how it's labeled. 

Since you reported it worked fine on a different TV, there's really only a couple of options. Perhaps the analog cables you are using have a flaw in them. However, if you used the same cables on the other TV, that's probably not it. It's also possible that the TV is failing. Since the Roku works on a different TV without issue, that seems a strong possibility. And of course the Roku itself could have a problem. But again, if it was working on a different TV, that too isn't likely. 

Dan
0 Kudos