Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ShadowsFall
Level 7

black vertical bars on the sides of my screens

I have a Roku Premiere and it has been working fine on my Samsung tv for months now. I went to bed last night and when I got up this morning I now have two black bars on either side of my screen.  The menu screen and when I try to play any of the channels all still have the bars. I've tried unplugging it and factory resetting it but I can't get rid of the bars.  Is there any other way I can go about getting rid of them?

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7\
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: black vertical bars on the sides of my screens

Have you checked your tv, as opposed to your Roku, for picture size controls?

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking " Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
ShadowsFall
Level 7

yeah, tv was fine, also turned on PS4 and screen is fine on it. 

0 Kudos
Tinabeal
Level 7

I also have these black bars, new tv only two months old. Bought Onn TV from Walmart. My old tv was Phillips and it also displayed these black bars. My daughter has a Vizio and it also has the black bars. Definitely a Roku program problem. My Onn TV has Roku installed, the Vizio I purchased the Roku part separately. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Tinabeal

Thanks for the post.

Can you please clarify the issue you are experiencing? What are you watching when you see these bars appear? How are you accessing this content? Can you provide a screenshot or image of what you are seeing?

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Tinabeal
Level 7

Open the whole picture to see the black vertical lines, this is on the new tv I purchasedOpen the whole picture to see the black vertical lines, this is on the new tv I purchased

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Tinabeal

Thanks for the image.

This would appear to be a hardware issue with your Roku TV. Have you tried contacting Onn support yet to inquire further? I'd suggest starting there to see what options or suggestions they can provide. Each Roku TV manufacturer provides direct support for their products running the Roku OS. 

You can reach them here: http://onntvsupport.com/#product_support-2 or at 1-844-334-2355.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Tinabeal
Level 7

Thank you, I'll give it a shot. I wanted to mention I have a 20 year old 60 inch Vizio and have no issues with Roku on that one but my daughter's 40 inch Vizio led screen is also displaying tons of vertical lines on it. If Onn has no solutions than Roku may not be the service my entertainment needs can use. It just wouldn't be a plausible solution. 

0 Kudos