Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
toe
Level 9

black screen

On occasion my TV screen goes black with a progress bar working in the middle of the screen.

Any help?

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10\
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: black screen

@toe

Thanks for the post.

Can you please clarify what you are seeing? Are you using a Roku device or a Roku TV? Can you provide a screenshot of what you are experiencing? Is this happening on a specific channel or does it happen on all channels?

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
toe
Level 9

I have been unable to capture a screenshot to this point. During a broadcast the screen goes completely black except for a small progress bar in the middle of the screen The bar is about 6" long and 1/2" wide and it changes brilliance to show progress. It can be displayed for a very brief period or it can last 30 seconds or so at which time you've missed something in the broadcast. I am using a Roku Stick and it happens on multiple channels.

0 Kudos
BobS2
Level 7

For the last 2 weeks or so, while watching programs on Britbox using our Roku Express, the screen would go black, sometimes for a few seconds or more (and audio usually was silent), while occasionally the playback of the program would completely stop.  Usually the screen and audio would come back on as if it were playing, so a few seconds (or longer) of the program would be missed.  This has been happening more and more frequently, so today tried watching a program on the Roku channel and the same program keeps occurring and more frequently.  Before contacting you I tried (a number of times) removing the power from the Roku briefly,  but last night I left the power to the Roku off overnight.  Obviously, that did not improve anything.

Bob S.

0 Kudos
toe
Level 9

Hi guys, I've tried removing power as well, no help. I can't tie it to a particular channel, time of day or anything else for that matter. BTW, I have a stick on two TV's and they both do the same thing. This might be one for the big guy in the sky.

Thx

0 Kudos
BobS2
Level 7

Re: black screen maybe a solution?

We've been getting a black screen more and more frequently and even moved the Roku Express around a bit, but may have finally dramatically reduced the problem with a major relocation of Roku Express.  It was under our TV, near one of the external speakers, and on the shelf above the receiver.  So I moved it to a shelf above the TV to see if maybe it was getting some kind of interference from other electronic equipment (although originally there were no problems).  Just watched a show after the move and didn't have any black screens.  Before this relocation of the Roku Express shows became unwatchable due to the many black screens.

Bob S

0 Kudos
toe
Level 9

Hi Bob, I use a Stick so there's not much chance of relocating it. I don't have anything close to the TV that's "on" to cause interference.

1dering.......I buy commercial free from the Hulu library. Often when they eliminate the commercial there is an "Ad" symbol in the upper right hand corner of the screen. I sometimes get a black screen and a progress bar, or in this case, a lack of progress bar at this time.

0 Kudos
BobS2
Level 7

Our Roku Express has felt very warm, so last night I pulled the USB power from it and left it that way overnight.  Today we turned it back on and were able to watch almost 2 hours of shows (on BritBox) with no interruptions, black outs, etc.  In fact, unlike yesterday, Roku itself did not black out at all even when just looking at the Roku menu.  

It would seem to me that Roku is very deficient in not having a power on/off control, even if they needed to place it on the unit (so it wouldn't be in standby mode).  We are going to leave it on for now and possibly either watch something on it tonight or tomorrow to see if the blackouts start again.  If they don't them I will just have to figure out some way of removing the power (other than pulling out the USB cable) when at least the TV is off.  Will let you know what happens.

0 Kudos
toe
Level 9

Hi guys, I have 2 Roku sticks and have noticed that they run hotter than I'd like. We're probably close to the cutting edge of all the new hardware and software so I expect some bumps in the road. I've had quite a few funky things happen. Once I mention them to the community a number of them fix themselves like there is some big Roku God in the sky who flips a switch. I might start mentioning when my truck is running rough or my lawn needs mowing. My latest bug is the volume control freezes. The fix last time was removing the batteries from the remotes and holding the power button down for a minute. Hmm. Maybe it discharging a cap in the remote, I really don't know.

Thx for the help

0 Kudos
BobS2
Level 7

Turned off the power to our Roku Express at night and on the next day when we were ready to watch.  No blackouts!  So I found a $10 remote controlled power switch with very short extension cord (plugs into the power and turns the two outlets it has off and on remotely) that does the job very nicely (purchased at Home Depot).  Other than the fact that it means we have another remote, at least the Roku Express will not be overheating.  I'm convinced that the excessive heat buildup in the unit after we had it for a while is what caused the blackouts and why they got worse as time went on.  An on/off switch in the Roku Express remote hopefully would be the right solution unless just being able to receive the signal from the remote would let the Roku still build up too much heat over time even when "off".

Bob S

0 Kudos