Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jim888
Level 7

black screen after AV receiver power off many hours then back on. Roku power cycling "fixes" it

Since buying a Roku Ultra two weeks ago, every night I come home from work and turn on both my TV and AV receiver, but TV screen is black.  Roku HDMI is connected to AV receiver.  There are no problems with other 3 HDMI devices I have connected to receiver, just the Roku has problem.  To "fix", I have to unplug Roku power cord for a few seconds and plug it back in.  It then works fine until I walk away for the night.   How can I fix this?

Instead of power cord trick, I've tried hitting every button on the Roku remote but that doesn't wake up the Roku (all it does is just blink white like on Roku box each time I press a button on remote)

I had a 30 minute chat session with Roku support today about this, but got nowhere.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
atc98092
Level 16

Re: black screen after AV receiver power off many hours then back on. Roku power cycling "fixes" it

Have you tried a different HDMI cable? Is your receiver and TV HDCP 2.2 and HDMI 2.0? What resolution is the Roku set to? Also, check the Advanced Display Settings and see what your HDR subsampling sit set to, and try the other option (4:2:2 or 4:2:0).
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
jim888
Level 7

Re: black screen after AV receiver power off many hours then back on. Roku power cycling "fixes" it

I'm running 1080p.  TV and AV receiver are about 10 years old so must be HDMI 1.x.  Advanced Display Settings was set to auto select (and was detecting as 1080p), I just now changed setting to explicitly = 1080p.  I have not yet tried another HDMI cable, I can try that.  

Frustrating thing is I have to wait overnight to know if problem resolved, as issue doesn't occur if just wait a few hours and power up receiver and TV.  Tomorrow is last day I can return for refund to store.   So if not resolved by then I may have to return and buy another one, and hope it doesn't have same issueSmiley Happy
0 Kudos
redtommy76
Level 9

Try disabling the Roku screen saver.
0 Kudos