Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pinglis
Level 7

ac3 5.1 sound

Hi
I have 2 files both show in plex as being AC3 5.1 sound one plays the sound the other doesnt
also 1 with DTS 5.1 plays video only
any help?
0 Kudos
7 Replies
dgrace
Level 7

Re: ac3 5.1 sound

and your roku model is? Plex is dlna server? Is it transcoding them? Are there multiple audio tracks in the files? Help us.
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
0 Kudos
pinglis
Level 7

Hi
its a roku stick 
plex shows file1
codec AC3
channels 5.1
bitrate 384kbs
audio channel layout 5.1
sampling rate 48000Hz

same for both files one plays sound the other doesn't
0 Kudos
dgrace
Level 7

So its up to your tv to decode the files. Possible (likely) that your tv won't decode the dts file. Is plex transcoding files on the fly?
FZ
0 Kudos
pinglis
Level 7

not sure how to check that
its a samsung tv both ac3 streams show as 384kbs and still 1 will play sound the other wont 
tried all available audio settings on the roku stick
flummexd now
0 Kudos
dgrace
Level 7

If you download Mediainfo it will give you lots of info on your media files. Also, try finding out what file codecs your tv will accept. I'm doubtful your tv can process dts audio.
FZ
0 Kudos
pinglis
Level 7

why would it be then that all the files that won't play audio on the roku will play them on the firestick
both plugged into the same tv?
0 Kudos
renojim
Level 8

The Fire Stick contains an AC3 decoder, the Roku does not (it just passes it through). If your TV can't decode AC3, you won't get any sound using a Roku (unless there's also an AAC audio track).

-JT
0 Kudos