Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gareneau
Level 7

Re: ? about decoding Dolby Digital

I should have added that my Onkyo receiver does not support Dolby Digital Plus, thus the problem.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Well, none of their "current" devices will downconvert, you are correct that the 2016 version of the Ultra will downconvert DD+ to DD. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
kpfleming
Level 7

And the 2016 version of the Ultra has an optical audio port (which was the reason they supported downconversion at all), so if you get one of those you won't need an HDMI audio extractor at all. HDMI to the monitor, optical to the AVR, you're done.
0 Kudos
gareneau
Level 7

That is awesome - thanks for the help.
0 Kudos
invictvs
Level 7

"RokuDale" wrote:
both
rokudale

Are you sure?  I just purchased a Roku Ultra (2016 version/4640) specifically for the DD+ transcoding feature (legacy AVR supports DD and DTS), but it only seems to work with the optical connection.  If it is supposed to work over HDMI, are there common reasons why it wouldn't? (ex. 4K HDMI cable needed regardless if only using 1080p; AVR issue; etc.)
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

"invictvs" wrote:
"RokuDale" wrote:
both
rokudale

Are you sure?  I just purchased a Roku Ultra (2016 version/4640) specifically for the DD+ transcoding feature (legacy AVR supports DD and DTS), but it only seems to work with the optical connection.  If it is supposed to work over HDMI, are there common reasons why it wouldn't? (ex. 4K HDMI cable needed regardless if only using 1080p; AVR issue; etc.)

There's an identified bug in firmware 8.1.0, and they are assuredly working to resolve the problem.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
invictvs
Level 7

"atc98092" wrote:

There's an identified bug in firmware 8.1.0, and they are assuredly working to resolve the problem.

Thanks for the info.  For now I'll just have to use the optical connection for DD streaming and manually switch to the HDMI for viewing local files*.  I hope they resolve this soon.

*(When using the optical connection to view local DLNA files there's a horrible popping sound as well as an extremely annoying audio delay for DTS files, and for DD encoded files the DD 5.1 does not pass through properly; my AVR keeps switching to Pro Logic II.)
0 Kudos
MightyHandy
Level 7

I am suffering from the same bug.. transcoding over hdmi worked great up until the last update. Now only 5.1 I can get is DTS. Dolby is broken.
0 Kudos
invictvs
Level 7

"MightyHandy" wrote:
I am suffering from the same bug.. transcoding over hdmi worked great up until the last update. Now only 5.1 I can get is DTS. Dolby is broken.

The latest update from July 27th (v8.1.0 build 4145) fixed this issue for me.
0 Kudos