Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dodgersfan
Level 7

Re: ? about decoding Dolby Digital

can't do that arrangement
TV only passes audio over optical when it is acting as an OTA receiver; all other times only outputs stereo from other audio input sources.
Also receiver can not decode or strip any audio over HDMI, only stereo (RCA) or optical/coax inputs for audio.  The receiver works flawlessly for years now when switching between DD5.1 and DDPLII (stereo) for OTA broadcasts over optical out from the TV and same for audio through optical from my satellite box (Directv) that routinely switches between stereo and DD5.1 as well.  Also no problem with decoding DD5.1 from DD MA or DTS core from DTS MA over optical from the Blu-Ray.  But it never has to negotiate "down" to get a DD5.1 signal from DD+ since the only DD+ source is the Roku Ultra; that is the only combination of components that is causing the issue (but of course is why I wanted the Ultra in the first place)...
0 Kudos
CEG
Level 7

"Heyitsrick" wrote:
"CEG" wrote:
Hope I'm not over-sharing, but I have an observation that, who knows, might be helpful.  I have checked it out and if your TV has optical out, as mine does, and it is connected to your sound system you don't have to actually use another optical cable from the Roku to your sound system to get DD decoding to your sound system.  Personally, I do have a cable connection from my Ultra to the sound system, because I just like the idea of the audio stream encountering less hardware on its way to my sound system.  Of course, it's likely there is zero difference in the sound quality, but this is just how I look at it. 

Since you mentioned the audio being slightly behind video, have you experimented with using the optical out from the TV vs. from the Ultra?  That might make a difference in and of itself, but also many late model TVs let you adjust the audio/video sync (lipsync) somewhat, particularly on the SPDIF (optical) output.  My LG HDTV lets me match audio/video on the optical out (and separately for the TV's speakers)  with + and - options. Since you're using the optical input on the receiver for the Ultra's audio, adjusting the AV Sync for Optical on the TV shouldn't affect anything else on your TV sound-wise, no?  Or are you using separate optical inputs on the receiver, one for the TV and one for the Ultra?  

I'm only referring to TV audio, when say watching Youtube videos, not using DD audio.  I wasn't very clear.  It's not lag during playback.  It's just that the video begins and sound (though in sync) doesn't begin for half an instant.  This was not true with 3's or even Amazon Fire TV box.  It's not just Youtube videos.  It's a very minor complaint, but still it's there.
0 Kudos
CEG
Level 7

In an earlier post I noted that sometimes when I switch to the video input on my TV for my Ultra and activate it/wake it with its remote I get only a black screen.  I've found that when this happens if I cycle through all the video inputs the Roku video will be showing when I get back to its input number.

Hate that I have to use a work around to make it work properly, but at least I'm no longer sitting there repeatedly pressing the home and OK buttons on my remote with no affect.

Several days later:  This issue seems to have cleared up and I'm greeted with the high definition landscapes screensaver.  This is a nice feature.  My Amazon Fire TV had a similar screensaver.
0 Kudos
CEG
Level 7

This is for the benefit of a poster that referred me to the 2014 fireTV, because it has optical out and will output Standard Dolby Digital (before release of new Roku's this past fall).  I bought one and it worked great.  Six or so months later, after being told by Amazon and people rating their 2015 fireTV boxes that the 2015 generation would not output Standard, I decided to take chance and ordered one last week.

I can now report the 2015 version of fireTV box, without optical, and the 2016 firetv Stick will both output standard Dolby Digital over HDMI.  All you need for you older surround system without HDMI is a TV with optical out connected to your older surround system, like mine.

Sure, this isn't an Amazon forum, but I wanted to put this out there for whomever.  BTW, I also own an Ultra.
0 Kudos
kpfleming
Level 7

So based on this thread (and others) I purchased an Ultra a few months ago, which I'd been happily using for Netflix, Amazon Video, and HBO Go (among others), all of which provide content with either DD or DD+ audio tracks. My soundbar (Yamaha YAS-207) does *not* support DD+, only DD (and DTS), but everything was working fine since I had the Ultra configured for "(Dolby D, DTS)" HDMI output, and I assume the Ultra was downconverting from DD+ to DD. All connections are HDMI, not optical, and go from Ultra -> YAS-207 -> LG TV.

About a month ago, maybe more, it appears that the downconversion stopped happening. With the Ultra set for "(Dolby D, DTS)", the channels don't even offer surround audio (the Netflix channel content is missing the "5.1" tag). If I change the Ultra to "(Dolby D+, DTS)", then the channels offer surround audio, but the soundbar outputs only silence (although it does indicate it is receiving a Dolby signal). Based on these symptoms, it appears that the channels only offer DD+ tracks, but the Ultra is no longer able to downconvert them to DD.
0 Kudos
kpfleming
Level 7

And now I see that since the Ultra 2017 model does not have an optical output, Roku removed the downconversion support... except that I had this working before, and now I don't know how it was working!
0 Kudos
CEG
Level 7

I just checked my 2016 Ultra and older surround system without HDMI for Standard Dolby Digital audio from Netflix for you and I still have it.  Actually, it's not just the optical out that made the DD audio work.  You can get the same setup with just HDMI to your TV and then TV optical out.  I actually bought a 2017, expecting the same DD audio capabilities (even read as much on a Roku blog) but it was back to the same ole song from Roku, DD+ and to heck with those of use wanting standard DD.  I returned the 2017 model and bought a second 2016 model, so I should be good for at least a couple of more years.  I will certainly not be selling my very expensive surround system that is still working perfectly just to get HDMI in.
0 Kudos
kpfleming
Level 7

Thanks. It is unfortunate that brand-new audio systems are being produced without DD+ support when the major streaming channels all use DD+. Playback devices shouldn't *have* to downconvert things just to make them playable, but it would have been nice to still have that support.
0 Kudos
kpfleming
Level 7

Completely confirmed. Got a Sony HT-CT800 soundbar, and now I have 5.1 surround in all the Roku channels where I didn't have it before. Of course, I've now gone the other direction: the soundbar supports formats that the Roku doesn't (Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD MA, etc.).
0 Kudos
gareneau
Level 7

I have a question but before I ask it, I'll review my system set up: simply, I have a Pioneer Kuro Monitor (no output capabilities) and an older Onkyo AVR, non-hdmi.

I can connect to the monitor via HDMI cable to send it a video signal but the Onkyo only has optical/toslink and SPDIF connections for audio. My thought was to get an HDMI Audio Extractor that would allow me to parse the Roku HDMI signal, sending the video signal to the Kuro monitor via HDMI and the audio signal to the Onkyo via either optical or SPDIF. The problem, and why I'm posting here, is that as everyone here knows Netflix only broadcasts in DD+. However, if it's true that a Roku Ultra (2016 version?) can downconvert the DD+ to DD, I'm home free. Meaning I can just hook the Roku up to the HDMI extractor and send a DD audio signal via optical to the receiver. However, I'm now being told by Roku technical support that NONE of their devices downconvert.

Could someone please confirm that the Roku Ultra does downconvert DD+ to DD? And if so, is it the 2016 Ultra I want to purchase? Thanks very much in advance -
0 Kudos