Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CEG
Level 7

Re: ? about decoding Dolby Digital

I'm finding the headphone experience improved over past models.  I seldom ever used the earbuds in the past, but either the earbuds are just a better quality, with better frequency response, or they worked on the quality of the sound.  I am finding it to be a more immersive experience and will likely use them at least some more than I did past earbuds.
0 Kudos
Dodgersfan
Level 7

update from my end:  
a)  good to know that others are not reporting (at least widely) the one-click issue; b)  it is still there with my system, and I have tried all logical things; another optical input port on the receiver, another optical cable, etc.  Still there every time I select a Netflix DD+ movie and clearly prominent (and annoying depending on the audio level that my receiver is at, certainly at normal listening volume is prominent).  The next logical thing is to swap my Ultra for another one and if the click persists, then it is something about the specific issues related to this combination of components obviously.  Another update later today or tomorrow after I have done that; also there might be a Roku update pushed along (maybe even last night) that could possibly help with this as well and I will of course investigate that as a path as well.
0 Kudos
CEG
Level 7

I'm experiencing some bugs.  One issue is audio is slightly delayed behind video.  Another is the one touch setting.  It's supposed to turn on the TV when using Roku, but if enabled and the TV is already on when you first switch video inputs to the Roku and then navigate it will behave oddly.  It really stumps the Roku.  There may be flashing, going black, hanging up like a skipping record and then it turns my TV off and back on.  Best for me to leave it disabled. Also, sometimes if I'm say watching OTA TV for example and the Roku is dark and I switch inputs to the Roku and press a key on the Roku remote to wake it up there is no video from the Roku.  I'm not sure how this gets fixed, but I think if I cycle through inputs it will eventually show.  I've been messing with these players long enough to know something is wrong.  I guess it could be my TV, but the players this is replacing had none of these issues.  I will have to just watch and see if I can figure out what to do when this happens.  There has been one update since the first out of box update.  I guess when you buy in the first week of release you risk bugs.  I would have expected perfect performance, though.

I hope Roku monitors these forums.
0 Kudos
CEG
Level 7

Hope I'm not over-sharing, but I have an observation that, who knows, might be helpful.  I have checked it out and if your TV has optical out, as mine does, and it is connected to your sound system you don't have to actually use another optical cable from the Roku to your sound system to get DD decoding to your sound system.  Personally, I do have a cable connection from my Ultra to the sound system, because I just like the idea of the audio stream encountering less hardware on its way to my sound system.  Of course, it's likely there is zero difference in the sound quality, but this is just how I look at it. 
0 Kudos
Dodgersfan
Level 7

the second Ultra behaves just like the first one for me, still have the fairly loud click every time it negotiates DD5.1 or switches from DD5.1 to PLII stereo generally as well.
Even with my receiver fully muted one hears a low volume clicking sound but that level is tolerable although still there; with the volume at normal listening levels, the click is quite loud.
I have tried different cables, different optical ports, different electrical outlets (to see if there is a ground loop issue perhaps but I have none otherwise and all components are being run through surge protection outlet strips that are pretty recent/new and seem to work fine) and now two Roku Ultras.
If anyone has suggestions on how to stop this, please post (or post if you also do or don't have this issue would maybe be helpful as well).
At low levels it seems harmless but at moderate volume I think it could damage my tweeter and am concerned that I won't always remember to mute when trying to change a program and others watching might not remember either and once would probably do them in, which isn't a good situation.
0 Kudos

"Dodgersfan" wrote:
the second Ultra behaves just like the first one for me, still have the fairly loud click every time it negotiates DD5.1 or switches from DD5.1 to PLII stereo generally as well.
Even with my receiver fully muted one hears a low volume clicking sound but that level is tolerable although still there; with the volume at normal listening levels, the click is quite loud.
I have tried different cables, different optical ports, different electrical outlets (to see if there is a ground loop issue perhaps but I have none otherwise and all components are being run through surge protection outlet strips that are pretty recent/new and seem to work fine) and now two Roku Ultras.
If anyone has suggestions on how to stop this, please post (or post if you also do or don't have this issue would maybe be helpful as well).
At low levels it seems harmless but at moderate volume I think it could damage my tweeter and am concerned that I won't always remember to mute when trying to change a program and others watching might not remember either and once would probably do them in, which isn't a good situation.

My old Onkyo 605 receiver used to do this. It was the receivers issue, and Onkyo said it was common. I was frustrated with it, but the forums said the same thing.
0 Kudos
CEG
Level 7

"Dodgersfan" wrote:

Since this just started with the Ultra, there must be some connection.  Just tossing this and I confess I have no idea what I'm talking about, but have you experimented with different HDMI cables?  Have tried them with and without return audio channel?
0 Kudos
Dodgersfan
Level 7

different optical cables yes and different input ports too
signal path is a high quality optical cable directly from Ultra to AVR;
can't test HDMI anyways because my receiver does not strip audio from HDMI, only video pass through, so audio input needs to be either 7.1 analog or over optical or coax and in this case it is over optical; works fine for all of my other components over both optical and coax but never had to decode DD+ negotiate into DD5.1; it works fine negotiating DD5.1 from DD MA or DTS core from DTS Master (or whatever they call DTS lossless) over optical and coax from my Blu-ray source (Oppo BDP-83) and no clicks or anything except a solid DTS or DD5.1 track completely.
0 Kudos
CEG
Level 7

"Dodgersfan" wrote:
different optical cables yes and different input ports too
signal path is a high quality optical cable directly from Ultra to AVR;
can't test HDMI anyways because my receiver does not strip audio from HDMI, only video pass through, so audio input needs to be either 7.1 analog or over optical or coax and in this case it is over optical; works fine for all of my other components over both optical and coax but never had to decode DD+ negotiate into DD5.1; it works fine negotiating DD5.1 from DD MA or DTS core from DTS Master (or whatever they call DTS lossless) over optical and coax from my Blu-ray source (Oppo BDP-83) and no clicks or anything except a solid DTS or DD5.1 track completely.

I guess I was assuming, without thinking about it, that your setup was like mine, HDMI to your TV for audio and video to it and then optical out from the Roku to your AVR.  Does your TV have digital out over optical, the way mine has?  If it does you could experiment with different HDMI cables and skip the optical out on the Roku and rely on the TV over the optical cable, assuming you have that.  I apologize if I'm not suggesting anything new.
0 Kudos
Heyitsrick
Level 11

"CEG" wrote:
Hope I'm not over-sharing, but I have an observation that, who knows, might be helpful.  I have checked it out and if your TV has optical out, as mine does, and it is connected to your sound system you don't have to actually use another optical cable from the Roku to your sound system to get DD decoding to your sound system.  Personally, I do have a cable connection from my Ultra to the sound system, because I just like the idea of the audio stream encountering less hardware on its way to my sound system.  Of course, it's likely there is zero difference in the sound quality, but this is just how I look at it. 

Since you mentioned the audio being slightly behind video, have you experimented with using the optical out from the TV vs. from the Ultra?  That might make a difference in and of itself, but also many late model TVs let you adjust the audio/video sync (lipsync) somewhat, particularly on the SPDIF (optical) output.  My LG HDTV lets me match audio/video on the optical out (and separately for the TV's speakers)  with + and - options. Since you're using the optical input on the receiver for the Ultra's audio, adjusting the AV Sync for Optical on the TV shouldn't affect anything else on your TV sound-wise, no?  Or are you using separate optical inputs on the receiver, one for the TV and one for the Ultra?  
0 Kudos