Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nameless
Level 7

Re: ? about decoding Dolby Digital

"Dodgersfan" wrote:
will do more testing and permutations (new cable, different optical port on the receiver etc.) over the next few days
I can't do the test that you described because my TV only outputs DD5.1 over optical if it is acting as the tuner over the air as the source; it will not pass DD5.1 into the optical out port if it originates from an input source into the display/panel otherwise.


Ah... I have a samsung plasma too and assumed yours worked the same as mine. Originally I thought mine only outputted DD via optical from the TV if using one of the samsung smart apps (which tend to be amazingly terrible, about half of them seem broken), until one day I accidentally noticed it was doing DD when using my Roku 3. Works for Vudu, used to work for HBO GO (usually) -- that was about it, but it at least showed the TV was capable of it. Guess only certain samsung plasmas can do that though.

Edit: And reading back, I see you have a pioneer plasma... doh... well, that may explain it then. Misread it on my part.
0 Kudos
AnClar
Level 7

Re: ? about decoding Dolby Digital

So I just got my Ultra configured...I like it a lot...transcoding is working fine...DD 5.1 over optical for all streams.  Good to be back with Roku!
Roku Ultra, Roku 4
Internet:1gig/40 Time Warner Spectrum Gigabit (DOCSIS 3.1)
Cbl Modem:Technicolor TC4400
Router:Asus RT-AC5300
0 Kudos
Heyitsrick
Level 10

Re: ? about decoding Dolby Digital

"AnClar" wrote:
So I just got my Ultra configured...I like it a lot...transcoding is working fine...DD 5.1 over optical for all streams.  Good to be back with Roku!

Are you getting any snapping/static sounds when a DD 5.1 stream first starts on your AVR as Dodgersfan reported?  What kind of AVR do you have?
0 Kudos
AnClar
Level 7

Re: ? about decoding Dolby Digital

"Heyitsrick" wrote:

Are you getting any snapping/static sounds when a DD 5.1 stream first starts on your AVR as Dodgersfan reported?  What kind of AVR do you have?

No snapping/static that I am able to hear in my setup.  My AVR is an approximately 8-year old Yamaha HTR-5790.  Configuration is:  Roku connected via WiFi, Roku Optical Out > AVR Optical AUX In.  Video is Roku HDMI Out > HDMI 4-port passthrough switch In > single HDMI Out > TV HDMI In. 
Roku Ultra, Roku 4
Internet:1gig/40 Time Warner Spectrum Gigabit (DOCSIS 3.1)
Cbl Modem:Technicolor TC4400
Router:Asus RT-AC5300
0 Kudos
CEG
Level 7

Re: ? about decoding Dolby Digital

It's a miracle! :lol: I just got my Ultra and have it up and yes it does transcode Dolby Plus to Standard over optical.  After all these years I never thought it would happen, especially after the dissapointment of the Roku 4 last year.  DD working on Netflix and Amazon and a surprise, Digtial Pro-logic on SlingTV.  This is a big surprise.  I've been a subscriber recently and my Amazon Fire Tv did not produce a digtial sound from Sling.  Don't know if any Sling movies are in full Dolby Digital yet.  When bought at Walmart you get 2 months of Sling free. 

I am not getting any strange noises when opening a stream on my system.  I have a 15 year Rotel system with separate processor and power amp.  Of course, are are no HDMI connections.  My optical cable is one from Amazon that cost about 10.00.
0 Kudos
Heyitsrick
Level 10

Re: ? about decoding Dolby Digital

"CEG" wrote:
It's a miracle! :lol: I just got my Ultra and have it up and yes it does transcode Dolby Plus to Standard over optical.  After all these years I never thought it would happen, especially after the dissapointment of the Roku 4 last year.  DD working on Netflix and Amazon and a surprise, Digtial Pro-logic on SlingTV.  This is a big surprise.  I've been a subscriber recently and my Amazon Fire Tv did not produce a digtial sound from Sling.  Don't know if any Sling movies are in full Dolby Digital yet.  When bought at Walmart you get 2 months of Sling free. 

I am not getting any strange noises when opening a stream on my system.  I have a 15 year Rotel system with separate processor and power amp.  Of course, are are no HDMI connections.  My optical cable is one from Amazon that cost about 10.00.

Congrats!  It's beginning to look like the "snapping" and/or static is really related to specific receivers, OR perhaps the optical cables being used. 
0 Kudos
hv2000
Level 7

Re: ? about decoding Dolby Digital

I believe Roku Ultra has the capability to transcode AAC and HE-AAC to Dolby Digital/DD+ also.
0 Kudos
CEG
Level 7

Re: ? about decoding Dolby Digital

I only briefly owned the 4 last October, but when I looked at the Ultra it struck me that it looks like the 4, but it seems smaller.  I just compared the numbers and it is quite a bit smaller.
0 Kudos

Re: ? about decoding Dolby Digital

DD+ to DD works via HDMI as well. My Vizio sound bar now displays the DD light. Awesome.

I remember how excited I was 10 years ago when I got my Onkyo 605 to light up with DTS MA and True HD. This is similar.

Thanks Roku for adding a much requested feature. I know it's not something everyone will utilize, but for those of us that will, we truly appreciate it.
0 Kudos
rockou
Level 8

Re: ? about decoding Dolby Digital

I had my Roku Ultra hooked up with HDMI going straight to the TV then using ARC to get the sound back to the receiver via the HDMI out on the receiver.
I did hear some snaps or pops of audio sometimes when starting the audio stream. Roku was set to output DD/DTS
I now have the Roku Ultra hooked to the receiver and then from there it leaves the receiver and goes to the tv. Roku is set to DD+/DTS Haven't heard any snaps or pops since.
4K HDR TV: Samsung UN60KS8000
4K HDR Receiver: Yamaha RX-V381
4K HDR blu ray: Samsung UBD-K8500
4K HDR streamer: Roku Ultra 4640 (2016 model)
4K HDR Gaming: Xbox One X
4K HDR DVR: Directv Genie HS17-500 w/ C61K mini client
Cables: Amazon Basics 18Gbps HDMI
0 Kudos