Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nameless
Level 7

Re: ? about decoding Dolby Digital

Can anyone confirm it decodes to Dolby Digital for other streaming services (amazon, hbo go, etc). I assume if it does netflix, it should be fine with other channels... again, just curious as to definite confirmation. And for those who have got it working with netflix (or whatever), can you also test if it handles it over regular hdmi as well?

My TV can pass dolby digital via optical out from the TV, unlike some TVs out there. But it does require a dolby digital signal to be sent to it.
So hdmi out from roku to TV, optical out from TV should work (if the new roku decodes to DD for me) -- at least in theory it should work. Vudu on roku 3 still provides DD for me (usually) ... HBO Go used to, until semi-recently, when I noticed it reverts to PL II (assume HBO went to Dolby Plus, which messed it up for me). Netflix/Amazon can't do regular Dolby at all via my current Roku.
0 Kudos
Dodgersfan
Level 7

Re: ? about decoding Dolby Digital

well I have had this receiver for about 8 years (it is an Arcam AVR350; so a very capable high end piece).  And the optical out from the Roku Ultra is directly connected into one of the optical inputs of the Arcam.  I have other optical and coax connections into that same Arcam from other sources, including my Oppo BDP-83, my DirectTV Genie (which switches all of the time between DD5.1 and PLII of course for commercials vs other broadcast source material), and using the Oppo as  CD player, to name a few, and also the output of my Pioneer plasma (which passes out optical audio from broadcast TV that it receives other the air, and thus switches its audio output over its optical routinely between PLII and DD depending on the program/commercial/etc.) also directly connected into the Arcam, and have never heard this clicking once.  It happens every time, reproducibly, and pretty loudly at normal volume setting, to the point that I worried that it might even damage the speakers (but doesn't seem to have done it yet at least) with the Roku Ultra whenever I select a Netflix movie and start to play it.  

So I do think that it is likely at the hands of the Roku and thus warrants investigation by Roku to see for themselves and if so fix it (and let us know or pass on a software/firmware update it that is what it takes to fix it).

Regarding the other posts, I don't subscribe to Amazon etc. (yet) so can't test it for myself but given the success that I had the very first (and now routine) time with Netflix decoding from DD+ to DD5.1 on the optical, once I set the audio settings off of Auto and to max out at DD5.1, I suspect strongly that it will work to decode any DD+ source material (why wouldn't it?) and also since one can select the output capabilities of the optical and HDMI audio outputs separately, I suspect that it will decode the signal over HDMI as well (exactly as the Roku rep said it should do earlier in this thread).
0 Kudos
nameless
Level 7

Re: ? about decoding Dolby Digital

"Dodgersfan" wrote:

Regarding the other posts, I don't subscribe to Amazon etc. (yet) so can't test it for myself but given the success that I had the very first (and now routine) time with Netflix decoding from DD+ to DD5.1 on the optical, once I set the audio settings off of Auto and to max out at DD5.1, I suspect strongly that it will work to decode any DD+ source material (why wouldn't it?) and also since one can select the output capabilities of the optical and HDMI audio outputs separately, I suspect that it will decode the signal over HDMI as well (exactly as the Roku rep said it should do earlier in this thread).

Well, it should work over hdmi, and expect other services will work, but just wondering if we can confirm that 100%. Maybe the clicking issue for instance is just associated with netflix, or perhaps if sending the dolby signal via hdmi instead of optical directly, it could fix the clicking issue too (that one you may be able to test, as your samsung apparently can send dolby via optical out to receiver, after grabbing it via hdmi). It probably won't be any difference, as logically it shouldn't matter, but it's worth a try if you haven't tried it already.
0 Kudos
Heyitsrick
Level 11

Re: ? about decoding Dolby Digital

"Dodgersfan" wrote:
well I have had this receiver for about 8 years (it is an Arcam AVR350; so a very capable high end piece).  And the optical out from the Roku Ultra is directly connected into one of the optical inputs of the Arcam.  I have other optical and coax connections into that same Arcam from other sources, including my Oppo BDP-83, my DirectTV Genie (which switches all of the time between DD5.1 and PLII of course for commercials vs other broadcast source material), and using the Oppo as  CD player, to name a few, and also the output of my Pioneer plasma (which passes out optical audio from broadcast TV that it receives other the air, and thus switches its audio output over its optical routinely between PLII and DD depending on the program/commercial/etc.) also directly connected into the Arcam, and have never heard this clicking once.  It happens every time, reproducibly, and pretty loudly at normal volume setting, to the point that I worried that it might even damage the speakers (but doesn't seem to have done it yet at least) with the Roku Ultra whenever I select a Netflix movie and start to play it.  

So I do think that it is likely at the hands of the Roku and thus warrants investigation by Roku to see for themselves and if so fix it (and let us know or pass on a software/firmware update it that is what it takes to fix it).

I'm not saying for Roku not to investigate it, of course. All I'm saying is that in my case several years ago - and the person who started the 2012 thread I linked to (who also had an Arcam 200), the only DD+ to DD conversion was going on in our LG HDTVs. Rokus couldn't convert DD+ at that time, of course, and could only pass through. The TVs, themselves, were doing the DD+ converting and then outputting via optical. So, logically, then, something else is at work.  Whether Roku can actually do something about it is another issue. 

Additionally, from reading your usage description, you've never had anything else that actually converts DD+ to DD over optical,correct? I never had any static/cracking noises on any native DD streams to my old AVR. If a channel on the Roku was feeding standard DD, it was smooth sailing. It's only when they started as DD+ and were converted by the TV for optical output to the AVR that I knew I could count on the snap/static at the start of the DD stream.

I did find quite a few references to digital pops/transients when using optical for Dolby. This is obviously a Dolby conversion scenario in your case, of course, but take a look at this Tivo thread from 2006. Sounds pretty familiar.  Dolby Popping Over Optical At Start

Just for experimentation (which I never tried back then), can you try a different optical cable?
0 Kudos
aaronwt
Level 8

Re: ? about decoding Dolby Digital

"Dodgersfan" wrote:
I can confirm that the Ultra DOES decode DD+ from Netflix through the optical port and outputs DD5.1.  I just bought a new ultra for exactly this feature and tested it out; c..........................

Great!! I purchased the Ultra for this feature to use with the Audio Return Channel. Since I need to connect the Ultra directly to my Sony 850C Tv for HDR. Since my Sony HT-NT3 speaker bar only has HDMI 2.0. And you need HDMI 2.0a or higher for HDR.
TCL 6 Series--Streaming Stick Plus--2016 Ultra

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
0 Kudos
Dodgersfan
Level 7

Re: ? about decoding Dolby Digital

I am hoping to isolate the issues soon.  My receiver can not strip audio from HDMI, it only acts as a pure HDMI pass through, so I can not test whether the issue is isolated to over optical or also through HDMI; someone else will have to do that.
I will also have to subscribe or find some other non-Netflix stream to test whether it is intrinsic to any DD+ source because that is all that I have now available (and all that I really initially cared about); but if anyone wants to suggest another free DD+ program to try it out on, I can do that.  I will also switch optical cables as well in the next day or two.
Would be good to know if anyone else with an analogous configuration also has this issue or not since that will help identify whether it is generic or just something confined to one system and set of components etc.

The audio stream after the click is a solid DD5.1 stream and sounds fine, so this is always a "one time" initial click that occurs reproducibly whenever I start any DD+ Netflix movie.
I have not yet tried to see if it also occurs on a DD5.1 audio movie from Netflix and would have to find a few and also even some source material in Stereo (that would convert in my receiver to DDPLII), but will try to do that as well over the next day or two and if others do as well and report their observations, it seems like it would be helpful to expedite a resolution of this (minor but should not be there) issue.
0 Kudos
CEG
Level 7

Re: ? about decoding Dolby Digital

Thanks also to Dodgersfan for reporting the "bug."  Now, I will not be surprised when I get mine in a couple days if I also hear a noise at the start of a DD stream and can wait for a possible firmware update to fix the issue.
0 Kudos
AnClar
Level 7

Re: ? about decoding Dolby Digital

Excellent news!  I'm waiting on my Ultra preorder.  Like CEG, I have been using a Gen 1 Fire TV but it will be good to be back with Roku!  Thanks for (finally) Smiley Happy implementing this much-needed feature.
Roku Ultra, Roku 4
Internet:1gig/40 Time Warner Spectrum Gigabit (DOCSIS 3.1)
Cbl Modem:Technicolor TC4400
Router:Asus RT-AC5300
0 Kudos
nameless
Level 7

Re: ? about decoding Dolby Digital

"Dodgersfan" wrote:
I am hoping to isolate the issues soon.  My receiver can not strip audio from HDMI, it only acts as a pure HDMI pass through, so I can not test whether the issue is isolated to over optical or also through HDMI; someone else will have to do that.
I will also have to subscribe or find some other non-Netflix stream to test whether it is intrinsic to any DD+ source because that is all that I have now available (and all that I really initially cared about); but if anyone wants to suggest another free DD+ program to try it out on, I can do that.  I will also switch optical cables as well in the next day or two.
.

I think you misunderstood what I meant about hdmi testing.

Instead of using DD via optical out from your roku, use optical out from your TV.

So hdmi from roku to tv (like normal), then optical out from TV to receiver (assuming your TV can pass DD signals, which I believe you stated it could). Set the Roku to do DD only, which I assume means it'd do the conversion for you before it hits the TV.

Logically it shouldn't make a difference doing it this way vs optical out from roku to receiver directly, but just curious. Never know.
0 Kudos
Dodgersfan
Level 7

Re: ? about decoding Dolby Digital

will do more testing and permutations (new cable, different optical port on the receiver etc.) over the next few days
I can't do the test that you described because my TV only outputs DD5.1 over optical if it is acting as the tuner over the air as the source; it will not pass DD5.1 into the optical out port if it originates from an input source into the display/panel otherwise.
Others are going to have to try as well and report yes or no on whether they have this issue or not, which will help isolate how local or widespread the issue really is and be helpful to all in the end too.
Will take some work but hopefully this will get resolved expeditiously for all
0 Kudos