Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AnClar
Level 7

Re: ? about decoding Dolby Digital

"Heyitsrick" wrote:
"AnClar" wrote:
"Heyitsrick" wrote:
Couldn't you have just bought it and returned it if it didn't do the conversion?  I'm not getting this. You want a definitive answer (which RokuDale explicitly gave), and you had a chance to to buy it in person but opted not to...ostensibly to wait for others to test it? Just get it already.

What's not to get?  Given the fact that Roku had been silent on the topic since last November,..almost a year, despite repeated requests for comments by a number of Roku users and customers, you'll excuse me if I've been a bit skeptical about the claims to this point.  I'm glad Dale has finally said it plainly.  And, sorry, I'm far too busy (maybe you're not, and that's great for you) to waste my time ordering, buying, testing, and then returning a product if it didn't do what I needed it to do because the selling company had been vague or non-communicative about its feature set.  That's sales 101...it's on the company selling a product to accurately represent the feature set of said product, not leave it up to the customer to "try it and see".  And again, it wasn't only me asking the question.

You're totally missing the point.  He said (not you, he) that he had one in his hands at Walmart but didn't pull the trigger, and yet is still waiting for someone (someone else, apparently) to say whether it will definitively transcode DD+ to DD. That's the part I don't understand.  But hey, that's just me. 
If I really wanted the answer and I was right there at the store with it in my hands and a Roku engineer had already explicitly said it does what I need it to do, I'd just go ahead and buy it and verify it.  Now, if I had to drive 100 miles to Walmart to return it, sure, I might think twice. But there's no indication of that from his post.  
Look, you guys can do what you want - it's your money.  But you've got your answer here from RokuDale. What else specifically are you looking for from them on this particular question?   

Now...absolutely nothing as far as I'm concerned.  I ordered my Ultra based on the answer I got from Dale.  
Roku Ultra, Roku 4
Internet:1gig/40 Time Warner Spectrum Gigabit (DOCSIS 3.1)
Cbl Modem:Technicolor TC4400
Router:Asus RT-AC5300
0 Kudos
Heyitsrick
Level 11

"AnClar" wrote:

Now...absolutely nothing as far as I'm concerned.  I ordered my Ultra based on the answer I got from Dale.  

That's awesome. Good luck with it. 
0 Kudos
Heyitsrick
Level 11

"CEG" wrote:

CEG:Heyitsrick, you don't have to get it.  It's not about you or you wanting to be critical.  Get it?  Don't let my ignorance upset you.  You don't know how many times people have been burned by wrong information or how frustrating it has been for many users, who never were able to stream Netflix in DD.  My own system cost several thousand dollars years ago, before anybody had dreamed of Dolby Plus, but it's too nice and works too well to replace.

I pre-ordered the 4 last year on the advice of Roku support and was very disappointed.  129.00 is a lot of money and it's kind of irresponsible to buy something, planning to return it.  I'm not yet ready buy the Ultra, even if I know it will do what I want.  We are just talking here.

I don't need to explain myself to you or meet your expectations.  It's an open forum and you are free to ignore any posting that offends you.

Nothing "offends" me and no one is talking about meeting expectations. It just seemed like you're very interested in this functionality, to the point of creating your own separate thread about it ( https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=96623 ). It was just a head-scratcher to me that once you had the answer from RDale that you were still hesitant even when you had the chance at Walmart. Now, if you were really just window shopping and didn't have an immediate need / want for it, I get that. But your posting in the separate thread came across to me like it was something important that you were waiting for, that's all. Hope that makes sense.  Anyway, AnClar (as you can see above) has ordered one and presumably will chime in on the transcoding capability.
0 Kudos
CEG
Level 7

I just ordered my Ultra.  I am interested in the 720P upscaling.  That might be a nice benefit for those of us with 1080P TV's.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

"CEG" wrote:
I just ordered my Ultra.  I am interested in the 720P upscaling.  That might be a nice benefit for those of us with 1080P TV's.

I place little faith in outboard devices doing the upscaling instead of the display itself. Unless you buy a pretty expensive scaler, it's highly unlikely the Roku will upscale better than your TV. I always disable the scaler built into my AVR. Of course, your TV most likely displays 720 without upscaling, so there's always the potential that it would actually improve the image. My personal opinion is, not likely.  Smiley Very Happy
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
CEG
Level 7

I think most content from Amazon Video and Netflix is 1080P, if not all, but I wonder if SlingTV for one is 1080.  I have noticed when I was subscribed to sling that it worked well, but the video quality was not quite up to Amazon.  It might be nice to think the upscaler might tweak the picture a bit.  Guess I'll find out.  I also wonder about HULU.  Also not currently subscribed to HULU, but have been in the recent past.  You get 2 free months of Sling when you buy the Ultra from Walmart.  I can barely tolerate watching ads (spoiled) but there are some good sports events on Sling.
0 Kudos
mikeyts
Level 7

"8traxrule" wrote:
I've never heard of a receiver having HDMI but no advanced audio decoding.

I have an old Onkyo HTiB receiver purchased in 2007 (HT-R640, part of the HTS894 system) with HDMI inputs which can only deal with basic DD, basic DTS and multichannel LPCM. Netflix's use of DD+ with Roku's inability to convert was one of my reasons to upgrade.
0 Kudos
Dodgersfan
Level 7

I can confirm that the Ultra DOES decode DD+ from Netflix through the optical port and outputs DD5.1.  I just bought a new ultra for exactly this feature and tested it out; concur that previous versions did not do this but were just passthrough and reverted to PLII in a receiver that can not decode DD+ but can decode DD5.1 (like mine).  I did have to go into the Roku settings and set it away from the Default (Auto) Audio and choose DD5.1 as the output, basically forcing it to go no higher than DD5.1 ever in the optical output.  I do not know the bitrate of the DD5.1 stream from Netflix that results from this decoding and if anyone does, that would be helpful to know.
Finally I report that there is still a small bug to be worked out in this:  on my brand new unit at least, every time that I select a new movie there is a pronounced pretty loud click in the audio stream; I am muting the sound to suppress it but it should not be there.  I suspect that it is being caused by the Ultra figuring out that it has to decode to DD5.1 and during that first negotiation sequence this click is produced.  It should be taken care of I would think readily by a software update or maybe firmware update and hope that Roku will take notice of this and rectify it soon.
Otherwise it works as advertised and thanks Roku for finally addressing this issue for all of us with high quality legacy receivers who don't want to replace them; 640 k bps DD5.1 is nearly indistinguishable from MA per blind listening tests so if we can get that quality output from Netflix streams through this unit things will be just fine for these types of systems in general.
0 Kudos
CEG
Level 7

Thanks for the feedback.  This is good news.  Mine should be in stock to fill my online order at my local Walmart by Thursday.  I've been using a 2014 Amazon Fire TV for several months that does this, but it will be nice to be back in the Roku family.  My Roku 3 has been collecting dust.  I've owned several Roku's over the years and was convinced Roku was never going to make this happen.
0 Kudos
Heyitsrick
Level 11

"Dodgersfan" wrote:
I can confirm that the Ultra DOES decode DD+ from Netflix through the optical port and outputs DD5.1.  I just bought a new ultra for exactly this feature and tested it out; concur that previous versions did not do this but were just passthrough and reverted to PLII in a receiver that can not decode DD+ but can decode DD5.1 (like mine).  I did have to go into the Roku settings and set it away from the Default (Auto) Audio and choose DD5.1 as the output, basically forcing it to go no higher than DD5.1 ever in the optical output.  I do not know the bitrate of the DD5.1 stream from Netflix that results from this decoding and if anyone does, that would be helpful to know.
Finally I report that there is still a small bug to be worked out in this:  on my brand new unit at least, every time that I select a new movie there is a pronounced pretty loud click in the audio stream; I am muting the sound to suppress it but it should not be there.  I suspect that it is being caused by the Ultra figuring out that it has to decode to DD5.1 and during that first negotiation sequence this click is produced.  It should be taken care of I would think readily by a software update or maybe firmware update and hope that Roku will take notice of this and rectify it soon.
Otherwise it works as advertised and thanks Roku for finally addressing this issue for all of us with high quality legacy receivers who don't want to replace them; 640 k bps DD5.1 is nearly indistinguishable from MA per blind listening tests so if we can get that quality output from Netflix streams through this unit things will be just fine for these types of systems in general.

Good job on the confirmation. I'm sure lots of people have been waiting for that.

As to the click you're hearing, I'm not sure you can lay that at Roku's doorstep. Here's why: before I got my new (few months old) Pioneer AVR, I was using an Denon  AVR-1803 from around 2003 that only decoded Dolby Digital and DTS.  My TV is a circa 2012 LG HDTV that does decode/transcode/convert Dolby Digital Plus to standard DD, and I was able to output standard DD over optical from my setup.

It was Roku 3 (Netflix, etc.) via HDMI --> LG HDTV --> Optical Out --> Denon AVR.
Roku was just passing through DD+ to the TV, which was doing the downconverting to DD to my older AVR. And dollars to donuts that every single time I started a new DD stream, I knew there was going to be a loud "snap" (or loud click) as soon as the stream kicked into DD. I knew I should have the volume down a little at the beginning. It happened 100% of the time.

So, that was not a Roku issue. It seemed to be either a downconversion or optical handshake or whatever, as the only converting going on was via my LG TV.

One thing you might want to keep an eye on - in that older scenario of mine, I could watch something in standard DD for a while, but sooner or later the audio would just start to break up. I would have to pause the show, back it up a few seconds, and restart it so the audio stream would start fresh. Hopefully that was just a limitation of my LG conversion or perhaps my AVR, but just keep an eye out to see if you ever run into that. Hopefully you won't. But to the main point, I don't think the sound you're hearing is due to the Roku, based upon my own experience in a different set up.

Edit: Here's a thread I contributed to in 2012 from a guy with the same set up as me (different brand AVR, but an LG HDTV that had Dolby-over-optical enabled).He was having the "snap" issue, as well.  Dolby Snapping Sound When Stream Starts Over Optical
0 Kudos