Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
washingtonbc
Level 7

? about decoding Dolby Digital

I am interested in upgrading my Roku 3 to the new Ultra.  My Yamaha home theater receiver has an HDMI input, but doesn't have DD+.    Will the Ultra decode DD+ (like from Netflix) in to Dolby Digital over HDMI?   Or only with the optical connection?  I'm a little ignorant on this, thank you for your answers.
0 Kudos
68 Replies
RokuDale
Level 8

Re: ? about decoding Dolby Digital

both
rokudale
0 Kudos
CEG
Level 7

Will the introduction of new models mean a major OS update down the whole product line?
0 Kudos
8traxrule
Level 7

I've never heard of a receiver having HDMI but no advanced audio decoding.
0 Kudos
AnClar
Level 7

"RokuDale" wrote:
both
rokudale

So Dale...are you explicitly saying that the Roku Ultra WILL transcode DD+ to DD over optical?  If so, it will be welcome news!  And news that I, and others, really need in order to make an informed decision as to whether or not to purchase a Roku Ultra.  Thanks.
Roku Ultra, Roku 4
Internet:1gig/40 Time Warner Spectrum Gigabit (DOCSIS 3.1)
Cbl Modem:Technicolor TC4400
Router:Asus RT-AC5300
0 Kudos
CEG
Level 7

Good to see AnClar still in search of the Roku Holy Grail.  Thanks to you a while back I bought a 2014 Amazon Fire TV box to get Standard over optical.  At this point, I wonder if Amazon will be introducing a new box and if the optical out will be back.  They just released a new stick.  I had an Ultra Roku player in my hands at Walmart yesterday, but resisted the impulse.  I still have a 2015 Roku 3, though I don't use it much. I just might be returning to the Roku family once the Ultra is beyond question confirmed to output Standard DD over optical.  If Amazon produces a 2016 box with optical for 99.00 I might stick with Amazon and skip this Roku cycle.
0 Kudos
Heyitsrick
Level 9

"CEG" wrote:
Good to see AnClar still in search of the Roku Holy Grail.  Thanks to you a while back I bought a 2014 Amazon Fire TV box to get Standard over optical.  At this point, I wonder if Amazon will be introducing a new box and if the optical out will be back.  They just released a new stick.  I had an Ultra Roku player in my hands at Walmart yesterday, but resisted the impulse.  I still have a 2015 Roku 3, though I don't use it much. I just might be returning to the Roku family once the Ultra is beyond question confirmed to output Standard DD over optical.  If Amazon produces a 2016 box with optical for 99.00 I might stick with Amazon and skip this Roku cycle.

Couldn't you have just bought it and returned it if it didn't do the conversion?  I'm not getting this. You want a definitive answer (which RokuDale explicitly gave), and you had a chance to to buy it in person but opted not to...ostensibly to wait for others to test it? Just get it already.
0 Kudos
CEG
Level 7

Heyitsrick, you don't have to get it.  It's not about you or you wanting to be critical.  Get it?  Don't let my ignorance upset you.  You don't know how many times people have been burned by wrong information or how frustrating it has been for many users, who never were able to stream Netflix in DD.  My own system cost several thousand dollars years ago, before anybody had dreamed of Dolby Plus, but it's too nice and works too well to replace.

I pre-ordered the 4 last year on the advice of Roku support and was very disappointed.  129.00 is a lot of money and it's kind of irresponsible to buy something, planning to return it.  I'm not yet ready buy the Ultra, even if I know it will do what I want.  We are just talking here.

I don't need to explain myself to you or meet your expectations.  It's an open forum and you are free to ignore any posting that offends you.
0 Kudos
AnClar
Level 7

"Heyitsrick" wrote:
Couldn't you have just bought it and returned it if it didn't do the conversion?  I'm not getting this. You want a definitive answer (which RokuDale explicitly gave), and you had a chance to to buy it in person but opted not to...ostensibly to wait for others to test it? Just get it already.

What's not to get?  Given the fact that Roku had been silent on the topic since last November,..almost a year, despite repeated requests for comments by a number of Roku users and customers, you'll excuse me if I've been a bit skeptical about the claims to this point.  I'm glad Dale has finally said it plainly.  And, sorry, I'm far too busy (maybe you're not, and that's great for you) to waste my time ordering, buying, testing, and then returning a product if it didn't do what I needed it to do because the selling company had been vague or non-communicative about its feature set.  That's sales 101...it's on the company selling a product to accurately represent the feature set of said product, not leave it up to the customer to "try it and see".  And again, it wasn't only me asking the question.
Roku Ultra, Roku 4
Internet:1gig/40 Time Warner Spectrum Gigabit (DOCSIS 3.1)
Cbl Modem:Technicolor TC4400
Router:Asus RT-AC5300
0 Kudos
Heyitsrick
Level 9

"AnClar" wrote:
"Heyitsrick" wrote:

What's not to get?  Given the fact that Roku had been silent on the topic since last November,..almost a year, despite repeated requests for comments by a number of Roku users and customers, you'll excuse me if I've been a bit skeptical about the claims to this point.  I'm glad Dale has finally said it plainly.  And, sorry, I'm far too busy (maybe you're not, and that's great for you) to waste my time ordering, buying, testing, and then returning a product if it didn't do what I needed it to do because the selling company had been vague or non-communicative about its feature set.  That's sales 101...it's on the company selling a product to accurately represent the feature set of said product, not leave it up to the customer to "try it and see".  And again, it wasn't only me asking the question.

You're totally missing the point.  He said (not you, he) that he had one in his hands at Walmart but didn't pull the trigger, and yet is still waiting for someone (someone else, apparently) to say whether it will definitively transcode DD+ to DD. That's the part I don't understand.  But hey, that's just me. 
If I really wanted the answer and I was right there at the store with it in my hands and a Roku engineer had already explicitly said it does what I need it to do, I'd just go ahead and buy it and verify it.  Now, if I had to drive 100 miles to Walmart to return it, sure, I might think twice. But there's no indication of that from his post.  
Look, you guys can do what you want - it's your money.  But you've got your answer here from RokuDale. What else specifically are you looking for from them on this particular question?   
0 Kudos