Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ERHayward

Zoomed in screen, I’ve tried everything

Basically my screen was fine this afternoon, all normal then when I go to bed my screen is super zoomed in. I’ve tried changing my resolution, changed hdmi cables, restart the device, restart the tv, and I even tried resetting the device to see the same zoomed in screen

Labels (4)
0 Kudos
23 REPLIES 23
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Zoomed in screen, I’ve tried everything

Hi @ERHayward,

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku Community. We'd like to investigate and try to help.

A few questions here to better understand what you're experiencing: Does the issue only occur on a specific channel or all channels on your Roku device? Are you using a Roku TV or a Roku device?

With more information, we will be able to assist you further.

Regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
Lubana
Streaming Star

I submitted this same issue days ago and was given the same old advice "check your cable, get a different cable".  I knew it was not my connection, as another poster said he/she was experiencing the same problem.  Now yet another.  Roku is the problem.  And, yes, I have tried everything, too, but was not dumb enough to fall for that "get another cable" business. 

The problem occurs right from the Roku menu, which is difficult to read now as some is cut off on account of the zooming in.  It affects every channel and all their menus, mostly unworkable now.  Captions and subtitles are cut off completely or only partially visible.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Lubana

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

-image of the issue you are experiencing

Once we have this information we will be able to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Lubana
Streaming Star

In other words, you're asking me to work harder than you're willing to.  I've already told you all channels are affected.  What's the difference what my device model etc. is when others are having the same problem.  Own up to your issues, Roku!

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Roku players have no aspect ratio settings.  The first place to look when the image is zoomed in is the TV controls. almost all TVs have aspect ratio control, along with image zooming. It's possible a button on the TV remote was pressed accidentally. and depending on the TV, it might only impact that particular HDMI port, so other screens look fine. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Lubana
Streaming Star

Just look at how common this issue is!

Solved: Re: How to fix Roku zoomed in and cutting screen o... - Roku Community

On this page, the last poster said he fixed it for his mother-in-law by pressing star on the Roku remote.  When I did, I could see some options should be there but they are cut off by the zooming and can't be read!

Lubana
Streaming Star

Okay, I found the fix.  I pressed the "reset" button on my older model Sanyo TV.  Whatever it did, it did the trick.

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@Lubana wrote:

Okay, I found the fix.  I pressed the "reset" button on my older model Sanyo TV.  Whatever it did, it did the trick.

That's great. But it does indicate an issue with the TV, not the Roku. Unless of course you are referring to a Sanyo Roku TV. but since referenced changing HDMI cables, that doesn't seem likely.

The * button in a Roku player remote offers different functionality, depending on what is currently on the screen. On the home screen, it does nothing if you're on one of the menus on the left side of the screen. If you have a channel tile selected, the * button provides channel information and the ability to move or remove the channel. But nothing that has anything to do with the screen itself. As I said, a Roku TV might have an aspect control using the * button, but I don't one in front of me at the moment to check. 😄

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Lubana
Streaming Star

It's not a Roku TV.  The reason I believed you when you wrote it was a TV issue is because you didn't advise me to do that "check cable connection" etc. thing that everybody gets here and by now indicates to me that it's just a standard answer.  Why didn't "Danny" or somebody with Roku simply state "Roku players have no aspect ratio settings."??

0 Kudos