Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Youtube app frequent errors and failure to load thumbnails

In the last month or so I've started having problems with the Youtube app on both of my Rokus -

- Frequently takes way longer than it should to load.

- Frequently doesn't display thumnails of videos when it does load.

- When it does let me start a video, I frequently get 'Network Error' that drops me back to the Roku home screen

No other apps on the Roku have this problem.

Playing Youtube videos on my tablet or phone or computer don't seem to have a problem.

Rokus:

Roku Ultra Model 4660X, software 9.3.0 build 4194-46

Roku Premiere Model 3920X, software 9.3.0 build 4194-91

The Ultra is connected via Ethernet, not Wifi, so I don't think the issue is the Wifi in the house.

I have removed the Youtube app from the Ultra, restarted the Ultra, then reinstalled and logged back in, to no effect.

Anyone have any good ideas on how to further debug this issue?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Youtube app frequent errors and failure to load thumbnails

I've been having the same issues for the past 2 weeks. I also receive the notice that the Youtube app is not available and to try again later.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Having same issues. 

Have noticed however that after reinstall of YouTube it will load up great over and over as long as I do not login. The moment I login all the issues you mention start up again. I am a YouTube premium member. I don't know if that is the problem or just logging in. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I've noticed that if I use my phone to trigger playback (Youtube app on Android to tell Roku what to play), it never fails during playback. That goes along nicely with what you are seeing and seems to indicate that the failure has more to do with accounts and selection than playback.

Also, I swapped out the wifi in my house (I the old setup had it's own problems) and that has had no effect either.

0 Kudos