Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Brad_Gibson
Level 8

Re: YOUTUBE TV

You just listed 3 new services to keep track of. I have Youtube TV, HBO Max, Disney +, and Prime and that's all I need or want to keep track of. 

I'm not going searching all over gods green earth for shows... we cut the cord and switched to Youtube TV, and if I it leaves Roku, we'd rather go buy a new device than hunt all over **bleep** for the shows we want to watch. 

Gumai
Level 9

Better interface, channel line-up and DVR functionality than the others, primarily. Everybody has their preferences. It's also easy to change hardware platforms.

Roku does this hissy fit thing occasionally when contract negotiations are up, they did the same with Fox just prior to the Superbowl last year. It's tiresome.

DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Sure, I get it. And whatever works for you, works for you. Thing thing is, Google is trying to dictate to Roku. Roku will continue to allow the apps on the platform, but if Google feels the platform isn't sufficient, Google will end up pulling the apps. And it just so happens that Google has recently launched Chromecast With Google TV, making a full streaming box setup out of Chromecast.

It's really easy to find shows that I want to watch. Of course, what you want to watch may be (and likely is) different. When I assist friends or family members with setting up streaming, I refer them to https://suppose.tv/ so they can get the channels they want, and get them for the best price. Some have Fire TV devices, some have Apple TV, most go with Roku. That Website show for all kind of devices.

But live streaming TV? Haven't needed it since 2006, when I bought a TiVo and began time-shifting via DVR. Then found Hulu, which is can be thought of like a time-shifting service. And it's a lot cheaper. Then put up an antenna for locals and the Big Five (NBC, ABC, CBS, Fox, CW), eventually got Tablo TV to replace TiVo.

For me, I don't need the $65/month cost of YouTube TV, and I don't like Google's trying to boss TV around. But, if a live streaming service is your cup of tea, you may find you have more options than you realized. But, yeah, regardless, you gotta do what works best for you.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
Note: I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Trudijane
Level 10

Hi,

I just got the E-mail today about removing You-Tube from Roku!  I watch You-Tube all the time!!!  So that is not acceptable to me.  I am also NOT tech-savvy in setting up the TV since a friend set up my Roku device for streaming when leaving Comcast - so all I know is that I have a Sony TV connected to a Roku Device!!! with You-Tube available.   I also have a TV upstairs connected to a Roku stick.

So, like you - what do I need to do if You-Tube is dropped!!!  from the Roku channel?  I really don't know how I would set it up!!!   Could anyone give me step by step instructions how to do so?  

Please help! Thanks.

jehatx65
Level 7

I'm considering switching to another streaming service like Fubo, it's the same price as UTube TV, but no Turner network stations (CNN, TBS, TNT).

0 Kudos
Brad_Gibson
Level 8

Make sure you're talking about YoutubeTV and not just regular YouTube... different things. 

If you need to have YouTube TV and Roku drops it, then you'll need another device like Chromecast with Google TV, or like an Apple TV, that still DOES have the YouTube TV app.  You can always continue to watch YouTube TV on a computer, but that's not the same thing as it being your TV service on your TV. 

Trudijane
Level 10

Does Fubo have the YouTube channel?

0 Kudos
Brad_Gibson
Level 8

No, they are competitors. 

0 Kudos
SomeGuy36
Level 7

Can't get Spectrum app anymore on new Rokus because of disagreement. Was thinking about switching to YouTube TV and now they have a disagreement. Starting to think Roku is the problem. Compatibility is my number one priority on hardware and services. 

Quade36
Level 7

Good for you... The $6 Hulu doesn't offer my local sports as well as unlimited cloud storage like YouTubetv. Happy for you and your situation. For me and sounds like most people YouTubetv > Roku devices.