Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Bubblehead1
Level 8

YouTubeTV DVR issues after 9.2 update on ROKU Ultra - causing restart of Roku

Jump to solution

Ever since my ROKU Ultra was updated to 9.2 and I try to go into YouTubeTV and play a DVR recording it causes my ROKU to reboot. After reboot I can access DVR with no issues. Also seeing some more buffering on YouTubeTV since the update as well. I use a wired connection so it is not a wifi issue. Model 4660X - Roku Ultra Software Version 9.2.0 build 4128-46. Does not seem to affect my Roku Express the same way after it was updated to 9.2.

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
makaiguy
Level 11

Re: YouTubeTV DVR issues after 9.2 update on ROKU Ultra - causing restart of Roku

Jump to solution

Whether it will help in this case, I don't know, but it's worth a try.

When I have a problem with any particular Roku channel/app, the first thing I do is re-install it.  Follow this procedure:

1) Remove the channel/app.

2) VERY IMPORTANT, DON'T SKIP -- Restart your Roku either via the Settings menu or by removing power for 30 seconds or so and plugging back in.  This assures the channel/app is completely removed from the Roku's memory.

3) Install the channel/app.

Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi connected - Samsung UN55ES6100
Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi connected - JVC EM37T

View solution in original post

Bubblehead1
Level 8

Re: YouTubeTV DVR issues after 9.2 update on ROKU Ultra - causing restart of Roku

Jump to solution

I think I have figured out the problem. I had selected a different screensaver than the default Roku Aquatic life one. After changing the screensaver back to the default, I have not had the reboot happen when I launch an App. So problem was with the 9.2 upgrade and the non-default screensaver.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
makaiguy
Level 11

Jump to solution

Whether it will help in this case, I don't know, but it's worth a try.

When I have a problem with any particular Roku channel/app, the first thing I do is re-install it.  Follow this procedure:

1) Remove the channel/app.

2) VERY IMPORTANT, DON'T SKIP -- Restart your Roku either via the Settings menu or by removing power for 30 seconds or so and plugging back in.  This assures the channel/app is completely removed from the Roku's memory.

3) Install the channel/app.

Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi connected - Samsung UN55ES6100
Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi connected - JVC EM37T

Bubblehead1
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thanks Makaiguy! That seemed to do the trick. Will have to put that in my back pocket for the future.

0 Kudos
Bubblehead1
Level 8

Jump to solution

Spoke too soon. Problem still happens every time I start my Roku and start YouTubeTV it does the buffering circle and then hangs and restarts when choosing something from home screen or DVR. After restart it seems to be fine.

0 Kudos
mbconsul
Level 7

Jump to solution

I am having the same problem with the HULU app.  App starts but when I select anything I get the buffering screen then the Roku reboots.

After the reboot it works fine until it goes into sleep mode then the next time it is started then the same symptoms

0 Kudos
Bubblehead1
Level 8

Jump to solution

Yes it's not a specific app. I have recreated it with Sling, YouTubeTV and Prime. I think you are correct that it has something to do with the sleep function and then starting an application after waking it up. Although only seems to be first thing in the morning, so it could be something they run at night. I hope they fix in the next update.

Bubblehead1
Level 8

Jump to solution

I think I have figured out the problem. I had selected a different screensaver than the default Roku Aquatic life one. After changing the screensaver back to the default, I have not had the reboot happen when I launch an App. So problem was with the 9.2 upgrade and the non-default screensaver.

0 Kudos
mbconsul
Level 7

Jump to solution

Good catch. 
I have changed my screensaver back to the default, hopefully this will solve the problem until there is an update to fix it

0 Kudos