Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DJQuad
Level 7

YouTube stops playing

[Post moved and new Topic created. Title updated]

I'm having the same issue. It causes Roku to restart.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: YouTube stops playing

@DJQuad Thanks for the note. What is the exact issue you are experiencing? What model of Roku player are you seeing this issue occurring on? 

If your device is restarting during playback, I would recommend you try removing the streaming channel you were watching when this issue occurs, restart your Roku device, then add the streaming channel back once more to see if this resolves the issue. 

1. Go to the channel tile on the Roku home screen, press the * key on your remote, and choose 'Remove channel'. 

2. Once the channel is removed, go into Settings>System>System restart and restart your Roku player. 

3. Once your player starts up again, go to 'Streaming channels', search for the channel and add it back once more. Then, try playing content again. 

Let me know how it goes from there! 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
DJQuad
Level 7

I have the Roku Ultra. I've already contacted support and they suggested that plus replacing the HDMI and other cables. I've done all of that and it still happens.

Then they suggested to contact YouTube, which is basically a dead-end. Instead of Roku themselves contacting YouTube with a clear problem for their customers. They basically take the approach of "hey not our problem". 

It seems to happen on longer YouTube videos and the app just freezes which causes the Roku to restart. Roku needs to have a much more proactive approach to these problems IMO. If any app causes the Roku to restart, that analytic data should be sent to Roku and they should actually do something about it instead of saying "not our problem".

...but I digress. Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

@DJQuad
Thanks for following up.

Please send me a private message with your Roku player's serial number from Settings>System>About, along with a link to the exact YouTube video you are playing when the issue occurs. I'll help pass this along to our team and the channel provider to take a closer look.

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos