Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Michelle3
Roku Guru

YouTube aspect ratio issue on my 3910 Express+

*This is a repost of an old question that I posted two years ago*

So, I still have a Roku Express+ 3910 (had it for over two years). It is connected to my Magnavox/Philips 4:3 CRT TV set, and the Display setting on the Roku device is set to 4:3.

However, I still notice something wrong with YouTube (anyone who still uses the old analog 4:3 sets, including me, should be able to know what I’m talking about).  So, to make this clear, 16:9 videos letterbox properly, and I believe any videos with a wider ratio than 16:9 also letterbox properly.  However, on nearly all 4:3 videos, and anything with a narrower ratio than 16:9 for that matter, there are pillar-box bars on the top and bottom. On any video with a ratio somewhere between 16:9 and 4:3, it’s normal for them to have letterboxing, but not when they’re cropped with pillarbox bars.  The 4:3 videos and anything narrower than 4:3 are cropped to tall/skinny squares.

For example, here is a 4:3 YouTube video (This video does not appear correct on my Roku Express+ device): https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ymspNPoaBIs

Like I said, the display settings on my Roku are set to 4:3.  If I set it to 16:9, it might stretch the 16:9 output vertically to my TV set.  All the other apps on my device seem to display the aspect ratio correctly on my set.

In case you’re wondering, the model number of my Roku device is 3910RW, and the model number of my Magnavox/Philips TV is TS2756C102. The software version of my Roku device is Roku OS 11.0.0, build 4193.

My Roku device serial number is YG00AM712707.

Of course, with HDTV sets being sold in retail markets these days I know there isn’t really much of a market for old analog 4:3 sets anymore.  But, does anyone have a solution to this issue?  From what I heard, this issue has occurred for four years, since 2018.  Unless the app is no longer coded to support a proper 4:3, I’d like to know a solution to this issue.  Thank you for any responses.

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
Labels (1)
4 REPLIES 4
JayClayton
Reel Rookie

Re: YouTube aspect ratio issue on my 3910 Express+

Hello -

I'm looking for an aspect ratio option on my Roku 3910+RW.
I have read that the 3910+RW has the ability to change aspect ratio settings but I can't find them on mine anywhere in the 'settings'. I have the unit connected to a an old CRT television - when watching old movies the picture is squished into a square. The images are tall and thin and there are black sidebars.

I would really appreciate any help or advice anyone can give me concerning this.
Thank you!

0 Kudos
JayClayton
Reel Rookie

I'm having the same problem. I just spent a small fortune on a 3910RW because I need an aspect ratio option and I can't find one in the settings!

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@JayClayton, you should have the choice of 4:3 or 16:9 under Settings->Display type.  Those are the only settings Roku devices have ever had.  It doesn't seem to do anything connected to my HDTV.  I no longer have a CRT TV I can try.  I hate to say it, but you should have put that small fortune towards a new TV and not given it to someone ripping people off.  Roku was practically giving them away when they were discontinued.  I picked up a couple for $15/each.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
JayClayton
Reel Rookie

Thanks for responding.
My Roku 3910 had no such settings. I was told it did but it didn’t.
I have three HD TVs with picture ratio adjustments. I need the Roku 3910 for a CRT TV for reasons of my own.

Luckily, the 3910 in question has been returned for a full refund, so I guess that’s good. If you know where I can get one for cheap, let me know! lol thanks again for responding 

0 Kudos