Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aj1701
Level 7

XS2 no signal after turning TV off

I've had a Roku XS2 since about 2014 with little issue.  After the latest firmware update in December, it seems that after I turn the TV off, when I later turn it back on, the TV gets no signal from the roku, which is connected via HDMI.  The only solution is to unplug the power, and plug it back in, then the Roku comes back and works fine.  Until the next time I turn off the TV that is.  

This has not happened until the Dec update, previously it works fine.  My Ultra also works fine as well.  Any ideas?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
DBDukes
Level 10

Re: XS2 no signal after turning TV off

"aj1701" wrote:
I've had a Roku XS2 since about 2014 with little issue.  After the latest firmware update in December, it seems that after I turn the TV off, when I later turn it back on, the TV gets no signal from the roku, which is connected via HDMI.  The only solution is to unplug the power, and plug it back in, then the Roku comes back and works fine.  Until the next time I turn off the TV that is.  

This has not happened until the Dec update, previously it works fine.  My Ultra also works fine as well.  Any ideas?

The Roku 2 XS (model 3100) was discontinued in March 2013. If you didn't get it until 2014, it was used, old, or refurbished when you got it. The point is, that's a very old device, although top of the line when Roku introduced it in the summer of 2011. You should still get some good use from it, although having an Ultra, you know how much faster the newer devices are.

So, how to resolve the issue and get more life out of your Roku 2 XS? Well, you didn't say what software version and build you're running. My guess is version 9.0, but no idea what build. I'm away from my Roku 2 XS and won't be able to check its software until the weekend. I will say that my Roku 2 XS was running just fine last week after its latest update.

Assuming my build and your build are the same, that would indicate it's not the build in and of itself. It could be something about yours, though, such as some corruption of data on the box itself. If that's the case, the best solution might be the drastic one: full factory reset.

If you go that route, first, remove it from your account via https://my.roku.com then, while plugged in, hold down the reset button for no less than 30 seconds. For example, 29 seconds is too short a time. A full 30 seconds. If something comes up on the screen, ignore it. A full 30 seconds.

After that go though the device setup. After everything has downloaded and you've checked for updates (possibly more than once), reboot one more time and see how it performs.

Good luck.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
aj1701
Level 7

A factory reset didn't fix the issue either.  I got the Roku new in 2012, 2014 was  a typo.  I still believe it is something with the latest update; just because it works for you does not mean there isn't an issue somewhere causing this.  I know the TV and roku can talk via the HDMI CEC commands; maybe the TV tells the roku its turning off and the roku stops sending a video signal to save power, but its not correctly coming back from that.  At any rate, the problem literally started immediately after the update, and I know the TV hasn't updated (its not connected to the network), so that only leaves the roku.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 10

"aj1701" wrote:
A factory reset didn't fix the issue either.  I got the Roku new in 2012, 2014 was  a typo.  I still believe it is something with the latest update; just because it works for you does not mean there isn't an issue somewhere causing this.  I know the TV and roku can talk via the HDMI CEC commands; maybe the TV tells the roku its turning off and the roku stops sending a video signal to save power, but its not correctly coming back from that.  At any rate, the problem literally started immediately after the update, and I know the TV hasn't updated (its not connected to the network), so that only leaves the roku.

Have you tried another TV, if you have one you could test on without too much difficulty?

If it was the Roku 2 XS and the software — you still haven’t answered the question about which build — then it seems it should affect yours and mine. It only affects yours. So, what’s different?

Your TV and my TV might be different.
Your HDMI cables might be different.
Your Roku might be different in that it’s going bad.

Those are the most obvious to me, but certainly could be more.

Testing on a different TV might determine if it’s the first.

Swapping cables might determine if it’s the second.

As for the third? Well, the device was once top of the line. It’s since been replaced in that spot by five different devices:

Roku 3 model 4200
Roku 3 model 4230
Roku 4 model 4400
Roku Ultra model 4640
Roku Ultra models 4660/4661 (identical devices)

Before spending any money replacing it, it might be better, or at least cheaper, to rule out the other things.

Don’t reach any conclusion such as “it’s gotta be the Roku” until you’ve fully tested. I expect you’d be disappointed to replace the device and then find the issue still exists because of a $5 cable.

It may be your Roku 2 XS, and it may be necessary to replace it. But it still might not be. If you’re simply ready to replace it, you already have a good reason: you want to. but unless you want to, try more extensive troubleshooting and see if you can squeeze some more life from it.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos