Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

XFInity Stream Video Quality

When playing live TV from the XFinity Stream app, the video quality is terrible. Most things are highly pixelated and of general low quality. Live sports is impossible to watch.

I also have a paid Hulu live subscription that  I watch through the same Roku box without any issues. Similarly, we have XFinity Stream on another TV (an LG that has the app built-in) without the quality issues.

Would love to drop Hulu Live and go to Xfinity Stream ($20/mo vs $65/mo) if possible.

So ... I'm reasonably certain that the issue is with the XFinity App on the Roku. I did call XFinity and they did all the usual checks and we're good. We have 1GBPS internet here and the connection speed in the room where the roku is, is typically 500gbps on average, so I know it's not a bandwidth issue.

Open to any ideas, suggestions.

6 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: XFInity Stream Video Quality

I am having the same issue, identical. I have 3 TVs. 2 run the Xfinity App with Roku and 1 runs the app without Roku. The Xfinity App produces low clarity live streams 90% of the time. It will often start in HD and flicker into a low quality picture after approximately 15 seconds. This happens on both TVs with Roku. Other apps I use on the Roku (Netflix, Prime) stream shows/movies perfectly, no issues. The TV I use (Samsung) that accesses the Xfinity App without Roku streams live television perfectly. The 2 TVs (4K Vizio) I use Roku's on are not able to download the Xfinity App, no option to do so is available, so ruling that out is a no go. A senior (20-years experience) Comcast/Xfinity technician just left my home after troubleshooting and could not find a solution. We hypothesized that the problem is in some way the relationship between Roku and the Xfinity App, but obviously that could be in error as well. 

Highlighted
Level 7

Same. Roku says it's Xfinity, Xfinity says it's Roku

I think it comes down to how the XFinity app on the Roku platform buffers the stream. Clearly, it's a hack to work on the Roku as the app itself is different on all other devices. Maybe it's a limitation of the Roku OS, but it's definitely specific to that app on this device.

I can't hang with that low quality, so we're going to dump XFinity stream and pay the $$$ to Hulu Live, I guess.  

Cutting the cord is turning out to be more expensive than what we had with pure XFinity

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

I have a Roku Ultra hooked up to my LG TV that also has the xfinity stream app. I’m having the exact same picture quality issues just like everyone else and this just started happening a couple months ago. I’m also having issues with the tv feed on the LG app freezing for up to 1 minute as well. I’m not happy at all with this. I went as far tonight as to try running an Ethernet cable from my modem (the new white one that hits 1000mbps) to the Roku ultra. Picture quality eventually dropped but rebounded to about 720p which is normal I’ve heard for xfinity stream. The picture quality drop happens on both my 2.4ghz and 5ghz frequencies. If xfinity didn’t have so many movie channels and my bundle wasn’t so good I would drop them for YouTube TV. I ordered a CAT 8 cable tonight and am going to try that and see if fixes the picture quality issue.

Highlighted
Level 8

I'm so glad other have posted about this.  I have three Roku Ultras (model 4660x2) and one streaming stick.  One is wired the other three are on wifi (good signal).  I have the same issue, at first streams in HD 720 but then drops to low def after 5-10 seconds.  It may or may not recover to HD.  Xfinity is blaming it on Roku, of course.  The stream is HD on all other devices (phone and computer).  All other apps (Prime, Netflix, ATT TV, Youtube TV) stream in HD or 4k just fine on the Rokus.

I'll be forced to cancel xfinity stream if I cant resolve the issue.  Anyone with other ideas or a solution?  Thanks.

Highlighted
Level 8

Well I got my CAT8 cable and hooked it up to my Roku Ultra and my “Super” Comcast modem and this absolutely DID NOT FIX THE ISSUE. My old Roku from 2017 that is hooked up to my ancient 11yr old 720p plasma is surprising not having this issue. My next thought was maybe there is a bug between my Roku Ultra being set to 4K UHD and it trying to upconvert the picture on the xfinity app. This did not fix the issue either. My only other thought is the xfinity app for Roku just can’t handle a big TV right now as my main set is a 86in. I went as far as to also mess with a firestick the other day and the quality there was horrendous as well. Might go to my local Sams Club and get a chrome cast and try casting xfinity stream to that on this TV and see if that works as that is the only device you can cast xfinity stream to. I don’t blame Roku for any of this, this is all on Comcast.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Well, this issue sadly is not going to be fixed by Comcast. Sadly Comcast is also my only option for cable TV where I live and if I do the math the streaming TV services with all my channels I have end up being the same price as what I’m paying now so switching to HuluTV or YouTubeTV is somewhat pointless. So Roku will shoot me for saying this about the Xfinity App for iOS and Android but you can stream those apps to a Google Chromecast if you have one. I just shelled out $30 at Target for a 3rd generation Chromecast and now I can watch my TVGO channels on my big screen (East Coast feeds too!). The picture quality is between 720p-1080p and colors are awesome! I’m watching RedZone as I type this. Only downside is I have to run the Chromecast from my phone but oh well.