Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Level 17

Re: Will Roku ever fix the HDCP problems?

"Kit9154" wrote:
Recently bought a Roku for the single purpose of streaming the Spectrum app so i wouldn't have to pay for another box. I have a two yr old 4K UHD LG TV & the Roku is hooked up using the HDMI cord it came with when i bought it from walmart. About 3 weeks into using the Roku i start getting the hdcp error almost every night. I've checked all the specs on the TV and ALL the HDMI ports are compliant so i don't get why I'm getting the error message all the time now.

You didn't state what model Roku you have. First suggestion is to try a different HDMI port in the TV. Next is to try a different HDMI cable. It's possible the cable that came with your Roku is defective. It doesn't have to be expensive. I use Amazon basics that only cost a few bucks, but they're pretty short. With 4K devices the one thing to be sure of is that the cable is rated at 18 Gbps. Don't pay any attention to it being labeled "4K", "UHD", or "HDR". There's also no such thing as an HDMI 2.0 cable. For HDMI, a cable is a cable. The only difference is their speed rating (also some support Ethernet over HDMI, but you don't need that), and again you need an 18 Gbps certified cable. If you still experience the problem after trying these two things, it's possible the Roku itself is defective/damaged. They come with a one year warranty, and from what I've read here they are pretty good at honoring that. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
dk_mccarty
Level 7

I just bought a Express+ and have this issue every channel change.  My Sony TV supports HDCP.  The "explanation" that HDCP error is HDMI cable or the TV HDMI port related is utter BS.  To get rid of the error, all I have to do is hit the " * " button (brings up the closed caption/accessibility options) and the error screen disappears and the channel content is displayed.  My old Roku stick never had HDCP issues.  The problem is obviously newer Roku product firmware related.  BTW, this is a Roku Express+ HD Streaming Media Player 2019 -  brand new!  So, until Roku finally comes to terms with the fact that the issue resides in their software, the "problem" will never be fixed.

whalebecky
Level 7

this is just rediculas as best.  my star button does nothing either on my i phone or the remote...

0 Kudos
MrCL
Level 7

I have the same problem, got so tired of trying new 2.2 hdcp cert cables. This upgrade is Rokus last chance as I will seek other entertainment platforms.
0 Kudos
lmsmithrku
Level 7

I have two Ultra's that have been doing the 4k flawlessly.  Suddenly the day before Thanksgiving, the Roku started flashing black every 2 seconds trying to do 4k.  Swapped my other box to the living room and worked great until the next morning.  Then that box started the same thing.  Both boxes showed that they updated that day.  Somehing in this update has killed 4k on my LG.  I tried some newer cables just for luck, but they make no difference.  For now I've had to swap to a non 2.2 port and just run 1080p.  Very frustrating.

Highlighted
Iceman8801
Level 9

Same here. Noticed my Roku Ultra updated on Nov. 25 and now am getting a solid blue screen (through my pioneer VSX 933). I’ve swapped hdmi cables from the Roku to my
Receiver. Tried unplugging all hdmi cables on Roku and AVR and power draining AVR, TV, and Roku to no avail. It works fine for a while but after several hours when I swap to my Roku source on the AVR I get a quick flash of the HDCP error screen and then no signal. Hooked the Roku directly to the TV and got the same issue. If I physically power the Roku off and plug the power back in it works for a while. All components (Samsung UN65Js8500, Pioneer VSX-933 and Roku Ultra) are in the latest firmware and this only started happening once the Roku updated.
Nermalvjj
Level 7

This is nothing new. I’ve had multiple models over the years and ALL of them do this time to time. No rhyme or reason, and I’ve had it just fix itself if I used Apple/Amazon for couple days & never touch it. Never had this issue (on such a regular basis) with competitor devices. 

D_coffey
Level 8

My streaming stick has the current update 9,  but it still says hdcp v. 1.4.  And I can not view Disney+, Netflix, Hulu, and others.  Everything works great on my ROKU tv.

0 Kudos
D_coffey
Level 8

My Old Roku Streaming stick was running great until it updated 3 weeks ago to v9.1.

Now it shows hdcp v 1.4 and shows the protected content error for all of my pay subscription channels.  I went ahead and bought new device, no probs.  But am still upset that ROKU support will not even mention the possibility of their equipment not supporting updates.

No, Roku will not fix this.

My setup  Roku Ultra -> Denon 4K AVR -> LG B6 OLED tv.  I've done the prescribed Roku troubleshooting, support is not helpful and won't own up and take responsibility, instead blaming it in the app (youtubetv lately). Plex and netflix don't suffer this error, so maybe it is youtubetv, but it only happens on this Roku model in our home.

Very annoying.