Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Daviator
Level 7

Will Roku ever fix the HDCP problems?

I bought a new Ultra to replace the Roku 3 that could not run the You Tube TV app. It worked fine for 4 days. Then suddenly tonight I get the HDCP error. I tried Roku chat but they were a joke. The first agent asked how I was was and then stopped responding. The second agent took my email and SN number of the Ultra then he too went offline. Then I Googled it and found it ot be an going problem that Roku either refuses or can't figure out how to solve. Here's a tip for them Do NOT advertise that you can handle 4K when you clearly cannot!

I used to love my Roku but like many other hardware manufacturers they seemed to have let their quality drop and hired the "B" team to do "support". 

At least it's still under 30 days and I can send the thing back to Amazon for a refund. 
0 Kudos
11 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Will Roku ever fix the HDCP problems?

What OS version are you on? From all reports the problem is resolved with 9.0. I haven't seen a single issue with HDCP since I received 9.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Daviator
Level 7

Thanks for the quick reply!

I'm on 8.1.0 . Doing an update now. We'll see if that fixes it. (Why couldn't Roku chat support just suggest that?)

Personally, I think Roku should ship with HDMI cables as they blame many of their problems on them (I buy good cables and have tried many different brands). But then again, if they shipped with cables then they would have one less thing to blame. 
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

"Daviator" wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply!

I'm on 8.1.0 . Doing an update now. We'll see if that fixes it. (Why couldn't Roku chat support just suggest that?)

Personally, I think Roku should ship with HDMI cables as they blame many of their problems on them (I buy good cables and have tried many different brands). But then again, if they shipped with cables then they would have one less thing to blame. 

It's possible that OS 9 isn't available for you to download yet. Roku does staged rollouts with major OS updates, and not everyone has received it yet. probably not a good idea for them to include HDMI cables as not everyone needs the same length cable. In my bedroom I can use a 2-3 foot cable with no issues. But other users need 6 feet or more. I am using inexpensive Amazon Basics cables with no issues. Just make sure they're the ones certified for 18 Gbps speed. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Daviator
Level 7

Updated to v. 9.0.0 and errors are now gone. However, screen now blinks black every few minutes. Happens on several channels and even on System Info screen. 

I tried calling Roku "support". "Wait time 17 minutes" after 15 minutes the wait time was up to "25 minutes". When a tech finally answered he asked how he could help. I gave him my info then he hung up. 

I'm thinking I should just return this piece of crap while I still can and buy an Amazon or Google player. 
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

"Daviator" wrote:
Updated to v. 9.0.0 and errors are now gone. However, screen now blinks black every few minutes. Happens on several channels and even on System Info screen. 

I tried calling Roku "support". "Wait time 17 minutes" after 15 minutes the wait time was up to "25 minutes". When a tech finally answered he asked how he could help. I gave him my info then he hung up. 

I'm thinking I should just return this piece of crap while I still can and buy an Amazon or Google player. 

Are you connected to a 4K TV? If so, you might try changing the advanced display settings from 4:2:2 to 4:2:0 (or vice versa, depending on what it is now). I recall seeing this happening with my Ultra quite a while ago, but changing that setting cleared it up. Also make sure you have a quality certified 18 Gbps HDMI cable. When I moved from a Roku 4 to Ultra (both 4K players) the cable that worked fine on the 4 was unusable with the Ultra because it couldn't support the bandwidth. I bought inexpensive Amazon Basics cables to go between my Roku and AVR, and AVR to the TV and everything worked well.
Dan
0 Kudos
niles300z
Level 7

First, thanks for not making us use 10 characters uppercase, lowercase, numbers and special characters.AVSforum is driving me nuts.
Now, i have a 3600x stick and a older denon 2307 hdcp1.1 receiver. They dont like eachother.
Who do i yell at? Roku for not being backwards compatible or denon for making my life difficult?
Tom
0 Kudos
Tgdc
Level 7

Hopefully this answer doesn’t violate any rules, but one option may be an HDCP “converter”. My receiver can pass 4K and HDR but not with HDCP 2.2 I found a device on M***Price where the first part means “one” that makes everything work. not sure if it would solve your issues too.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

It's not a banned topic, but officially Roku doesn't support video converters, so can't really help if you have issues with one. If your HDCP is really version 1.1, you should know that it was released in 2003, so extremely old technology. And according to the Wiki post V2.x is not backwards compatible with V1.x, so you can't really blame Roku. It says " ...HDCPv2 devices may interface with HDCPv1 hardware only by natively supporting HDCPv1, or by using a dedicated converter device.". So they have to build hardware support for both HDCP 2.x and for older versions. To support V1.1. it just may not have been worth the cost. I have no issues with my HDCP 1.4 equipment, but it's 5 1/2 year newer technology.
Dan
0 Kudos
Kit9154
Level 7

Recently bought a Roku for the single purpose of streaming the Spectrum app so i wouldn't have to pay for another box. I have a two yr old 4K UHD LG TV & the Roku is hooked up using the HDMI cord it came with when i bought it from walmart. About 3 weeks into using the Roku i start getting the hdcp error almost every night. I've checked all the specs on the TV and ALL the HDMI ports are compliant so i don't get why I'm getting the error message all the time now.
0 Kudos