Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Why you should NEVER buy another Roku from the earliest adopter.

I have had Roku since the first model in 2008. I was even a beta tester for the Express unit. I have extensive software and hardware testing experience, so I know the difference between user error, a 'fluke' bug that's hard to re-create and troubleshoot, and a persistent software issue that is easier to find the root of and usually fixed within weeks of discovery. 

As evidenced by this forum, Roku has A LOT of active bugs in their software, mostly persistent long running issues. This is not that uncommon. The odd thing is they seem to have stopped attempting to address any of these issues, instead devoting their coding resources only toward adding new features to increase revenue. Some ongoing issues have been present since 2018.

Most of the bugs reported in this forum have no response from a Roku employee. The ones that do have the most unhelpful technical support I've seen. Mostly generic cut and paste responses that just tell you to factory reset your device. While this is a fix for a handful of issues, usually it either does nothing or is a temporary fix at best. And then one must sign into every channel again. It's not an acceptable 'fix'! It's a cop out. Hire some more programmers if you need to, to make your service reliable again. 

For just ONE example, the ever present bug that tells you there is not enough space to launch a channel even if you only have ONE channel... "Danny" has told multiple people in that thread to remove unwanted channels and factory reset. Every single person comes back and says that didn't work for them, but the same bad advice continues to be given. Roku has ALWAYS been designed to let you have as many channels as you want, deleting the older ones when you need the space. It worked this way in 2008 just fine with much less onboard memory so there should be no need to remove channels EVER. This is a software bug YOU need to fix. You are wasting people's time when they have to do all of these steps, re-sign into every channel, only to have their issues not resolved.  You are placing all responsibly for your devices not running properly on the consumers and refusing to admit the presence of any software issues that you could be at least attempting to fix.

Roku was once a decent company that seemed to care about the quality of their products and the satisfaction of their users but no longer. Like many corporations these days, they are only interested in cutting corners to maximize profits. I will NEVER spend another dollar on Roku products or service. If you're here because you also have problems they won't fix, I encourage you to do the same. I almost bought a Roku TCL TV because they are so cheap but thankfully I did not! Now I know why they are always on sale.

There are a ton of better choices in streaming devices now. Amazon FireTV and Chromecast products work great for basic users who just want simplicity. Look into open source Android TV boxes if you are a more advanced user who likes to tweak and customize things just the way you like it. From one of your earliest adopters, farewell Roku. =(

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Why you should NEVER buy another Roku from the earliest adopter.

I have sussed out another Roku related or caused problem that seems so far fetched that a certified audio visual tech friend told me no way could it be related.
The heart of my sound system was a 40 year old Sony AVR receiver. When, " no sound," problems began a year ago it seemed reasonable to conclude the receiver needed replacement, For a rew days it seemed to be the fix.

Now the problem returned. My Roku is connected in series to my total sound system so when there is no sound on Roku TV or Radio there is no sound on  any function of my sound system, including Radio, CD, DVD, nor the dedicated Turntable input. I believe I proved the glitch by removing Roku from the loop but did not disconnect the ROKU power source. All Receiver functions were viable, reconnected ROKU and, no sound across all functions; unplugged ROKU power cord for 10 seconds or so, reconnected and all functions were reestablished.

Some more tech qualified mind than mine might be able to explain this or refute my assertion that ROKU is the cause. I'm open to hearing all.

If my conclusion is accurate then this cost me $ 1187.00, plus whatever it will cost me to replace the ROKU device and the time to relist my channels on a new device, plus cancel and reopen paid accounts.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

I am forced to conclude that manufacturers and service providers establish these, " gripe," forms to occupy we buyers, benignly renamed, ' consumers,' remove the cost of providing true customer service, and eventually we alljust go away and a new herd of buyers wade into the greed infested pool.

They don't care and disappearing Customer Service is just a call centre somewhere, or home based agent, that represents potentially dozens of companies that are set up to deescalate dissatified customers, and, again, until we eventually go away.  Not quite like a local retailer who has something to lose.

Highlighted
Level 8

Your sound problem sounds quite different from mine but I have one thing you might try.

Losing audio is a VERY common problem on the Express units and Roku TVs, possibly others. I found many threads here about it. For awhile I was rebooting to fix the issue, sometimes 4 or 5 times during the same show. Thanks to users on this forum only, NOT technical support, the workaround that finally worked for me was to turn off audio leveling, which was unfortunately a feature I truly appreciated. Hit the star during playback and go to Volume Mode, turn it OFF. Cycling through the options was enough to bring back the audio feed without a reboot but the problem will reoccur until this sound mode is set to off unfortunately. This did not work for everyone I saw and some people with the issue do not even HAVE this option on their devices so YMMV. All I know is it worked for me and alleviated a BIT, but not much, of my frustration with Roku. Good luck!

0 Kudos