Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dogcatcher
Reel Rookie

Re: Dark screen. Can barely see tv programs.

Great suggestion to try a different port.  Moving the stick from HDMI#3 to HDMI#1 (previously used by the Comcast DVR) immediately brought screen brightness up to expected levels.

Was already using the external power wart.

Will now investigate what is different about HDMI ports on the Panasonic Viera set that caused the problem.

0 Kudos

I suggest the purchase of a better brand!!!  TCL Rokus are horrible, along with customer service.  Bought a new Samsung...fix the problem right away.

0 Kudos
Daniwalk3r

I purchased a TCL Roku TV from Best Buy in 2016. It worked great for 3 years. I noticed it started getting dimmer and dimmer until it went almost completely black. Unplugging worked for a while but it was never as bright as it was when purchased. 
Christmas, 2019, my mom bought us a Sharp Roku TV from Best Buy. Also worked great. 
I loved Roku’s format so I wanted to stick with it. One week ago, I was watching the TV when the screen went out AGAIN. Of course it’s just over a year old so no warranty. 
There is not a trick or troubleshooting tip I have not tried. The TV is done. 
The picture will come back on every once in a while but only for an hour or two, then right back off again.

So today, I’m on my way back to the store to purchase yet ANOTHER TV. It will not be a Roku TV. I’m not sure what Roku is doing with their light boards, but this shouldn’t be such a predominant problem. 
My living room has a regular LG TV purchased in 2011. Still works great, never a problem. 

0 Kudos

Experienced dark screen (silhouettes of blue and red images) with good audio but only for the Rogers Ignite TV.  All Roku apps were perfectly running, no issues.  Tried switching HDMI (1 and 2) connections to Rogers box, switched as well the two Rogers boxes, and used HDMI 3 connection using the HDMI cable provided by Rogers Ignite.  Still the same issue - having dark screen.

Through all these switching, unplugging of Rogers boxes, etc., tried unplugging the Roku tv from the power outlet and replugged after 5 minutes.  And it worked!!!

Rogers technical support told me that sometimes Roku tv needs to be unplugged from the outlet to perform some reboot.  

0 Kudos
Mudday

I changed to HDMI, it lightened up a little but still too dark.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi @Mudday

Thanks for the post.

Does the dark screen apply to all channels installed on your Roku device? Have you tried switching HDMI cables as well as using another HDMI port on the TV to see if that resolves the issue?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Laizboy

Has there been a resolution to this issue? I'm experiencing the same on a 2020 model

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Laizboy,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

Are you using a Roku player or Roku TV? If you are having an issue with your Roku device screen going black, we recommend unplugging your device for 5-10 minutes then plugging the Roku TV back resolves the issue.

To restart your Roku player, go to Settings > System > System restart
Restart Roku TV : Go to Settings > System > Power > System restart > Restart.

Does this clear up the issue you are seeing? Please keep us posted.

Sincerely,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Mal14
Reel Rookie

I have suddenly started to have the same problem with the dark screen.   This followed a recent system update.

I've plugged the USB cable into another power outlet, did a system reset and tried a different HDMI port.  There is no change.   I also have an Insignia Roku TV and do not have the same issue.

What else can I try?  Is this anything to do with the software update?

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Mal14,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

Thanks for letting us know all that you've done, I will do my best to assist you and see how we can help.

A few questions here to better understand what you're experiencing: 
1. Are you using a Roku TV or a Roku device? What Roku model device are you using?
2. Does the issue only occur on a specific channel or all channels on your Roku device?

3. For the Roku Streaming device, have you tried rebooting your wireless network to see if that resolves the issue you are experiencing?

4. For Roku TV, have you tried to go to Settings > System > Power > System restart > Restart then unplug your TV for 10-15 minutes then plug it back in?
Please keep us posted and we'll continue assisting you from there!

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos