Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fanorama
Level 7

Why doesn't Roku fix the blanking?

My Roku Ultra has the screen blanking problem approximately every 15-20 minutes. It is only on 1080, never at 720. I had my Roku 3 for 4 years and it never once had a screen blanking problem. Even now, when I hook up the old Roku 3, it never has the blanking?

Searching this forum, I see that this has been a problem for many people for years, and is ongoing.  So, why hasn't Roku fixed the problem? It seems that they are knowingly selling defective products and do not care.
0 Kudos
5 Replies

Re: Why doesn't Roku fix the blanking?

What is "the screen blanking problem"?
0 Kudos
fanorama
Level 7

The blanking problem is when the Roku stops sending a video signal to the TV for about 2 seconds then starts again, causing the screen to go blank.

This has been going on for a long time:

https://forums.roku.com/search.php?keywords=blanking
0 Kudos
T_J
Level 7

"fanorama" wrote:
 this has been a problem for many people for years, and is ongoing.  

I've actually owned Rokus for years and never had any screen blanking. I've owned a 2008 N1000, 2010 XDS, 2015 Roku 2 (4210), and a 2016 Premiere+. Currently use the Roku 2 & Premiere+. N1000 still works but not used; sold XDS in 2016.
Feb 10 (Sat) I watched maybe 10 hours of Olympics with my Premiere+ and 2016 1080P Sony TV with ZERO screen blanking on NBCSN (Sling TV Blue). Also watched couple hours of Olympics with the Roku 2 on Saturday. 
0 Kudos
nickt137
Level 7

On our Premier+ it happens at every button press from the remote or app. I also use a Harmony remote which uses IR and it still does it. I switched to the Roku 3 and at first boot it didn't do it and then it started again within seconds. This makes me think it's a HDMI problem but still can't figure it out.
0 Kudos
TheAirWolf
Level 8

Turn off the Auto-Refresh. That stopped the blank black screens for me.