Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Djshiggles
Level 7

Why does Roku have issues with HDCP?

I’ve seen the troubleshooting guides about the HDCP error that happens often on my Roku. 

I’m wondering if Roku is ever going to address the issue? I don’t mean by telling us what to do to correct it when it happens, I mean to figure out why it’s happening to begin with. 

it’s not a problem with an HDMI cable since the Roku stick plugs directly into the TV. It’s not a problem with that HDMI port, as it will go days with no issues and then all of a sudden get screwed up again out of nowhere. It’s not the TV itself as it’s never had an issue with anything else except the Roku. 

every time it happens, unlplugging and waiting and resetting and restarting seems to work, it’s just SO ANNOYING. It would be great if Roku acknowledged there was a known problem and offered a permanent solution. 

I have two other TVs in the house, one has an old AppleTV device connected to it, and the other an Amazon FireStick. Never once have I seen this HDCP problem on those, only with the Roku. 

Rant over. cmon Roku gimmie something here. 

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3\
StreamerUser
Level 20

Re: Why does Roku have issues with HDCP?

They keep regressing HDCP errors in new firmware versions/builds, and this has been going on for years.

The solution is to hire better HDMI handshaking programmers who can better design and execute HDMI-handling code within the context of RokuOS.

When that happens you'll see much better/more robust HDMI handshaking results, including a lack of HDCP errors.

makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@RokuDanny-R-- anybody at Roku listening?

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking " Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Djshiggles
Level 7

Ohhhhhh I get it! So basically it’s just poor management! 

0 Kudos