Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do I have to unplug and replug my Roku premier each time I want to use it?

I just upgraded from a Roku 2 to a Roku premier. My until is set to HDMI 3. Every time I go to my Roku, it never loads automatically. I have to unplug it, then replug it for it to work. My Roku 2 never had that problem. Once I unplug it and replug it, it works perfectly. I don't understand why I have to do that at all. When I click on HDMI 3, it should be there. Any suggestions?

42 REPLIES 42
dgrace
Roku Guru

Re: Why do I have to unplug and replug my Roku premier each time I want to use it?

You should try waking the roku up first, then switch to the hdmi input. Just use the remote to press Home, the roku should flash, then switch input on your tv. 

"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
SoCoBro

Re: Why do I have to unplug and replug my Roku premier each time I want to use it?

I'm having the same issue.  I moved the Roku to a different tv...same thing.  Someone suggested to wake the Roku...didn't work.  Did you solve it?

AtlLou

Same here with my Roku Premier.  I must plug/unplug to get a connection.  What's up?

tim_qd

I'm having similar issues. I've had my Roku Ultra for 2 1/2 yrs.  Starting last weekend I am having to unplug the power cord to my roku box then plug it back in for the streaming service to work.  What is happening all of a sudden?  

Very interesting, seems like the same thing I am seeing on my new Roku Premiere I just picked up a few days ago.  Crazy that your issue was from January and still no SW upgrade to correct.  Can't be Covid related.  🙂  

https://community.roku.com/t5/Playback-Issues-Audio-Video-Power/Trouble-Shooting-Roku-Premiere-Issue...

Rocket_J_Squirr
Channel Surfer

Try turning off Frame Rate Matching. An obscure setting which is enabled by default and seems to cause problems.

Settings > System > Advanced system settings

0 Kudos
hitmand
Reel Rookie

I am having this issue with my roku streaming stik+. I never had it with my old model roku express. there is an issue clearly which roku needs to address and fix.

makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Do you guys with this problem have your Rokus powered via the USB port on your TVs?

The power provided by many USB ports goes on and off with the TV.  This means the Roku must boot up every time you turn the TV on.  If the TV starts up faster than the Roku does and checks the HDMI port before the Roku has finished its startup, the initial HDMI information exchange between the Roku and TV will fail and the TV will report there is no signal.

Forcing the Roku to restart by uplugging/plugging forces a new HDMI "handshake" between the Roku and TV.

See if just switching the TV to a different input and back eliminates the need to unplug/plug the Roku.  This should force a new HDMI handshake without having to wait for the Roku to restart.

The problem should go away entirely if you power the Roku using the USB power adapter that came with it plugged into your house power instead of plugging it into the TV's USB port.  The Roku stays powered up and doesn't need to reboot when you turn on the tv.  If you do that, get in the habit of returning the Roku to its home page when done viewing so that it won't continue to stream and use bandwidth when the tv is off.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Rocket_J_Squirr
Channel Surfer

I recently started having this problem with my Premiere 3920R, which I bought new in March 2020.

The Premiere no longer wants to wake up. When I switch to it, I get black screen, no Roku sound, and no HDMI handshake.

Toggling inputs on my Marantz AV8805 preamp and on my Sony 600ES projector does not work to cause a fresh handshake. I have to power cycle the Premiere, and then it works fine for the rest of the session. The next day, black screen, repeat.

I am using the supplied AC power supply, not attempting to draw power from a USB port. I'm using a certified high-speed HDMI cable from Monoprice.

Is there a fix?