Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BirchTree
Reel Rookie

Why HDCP error on new 3820R stick which replaced 3810?

I replaced a 3810 with a 3820R on a Vizio 1080P tv. I never experienced these errors before. Usually a restart (or 2) of the stick via the power restart menu fixes the problem. But… getting a new Roku and ending up with new problems wasn’t the plan.

Any thoughts? I have change the auto resolution or whatever it’s called and set it manually but that didn’t help.

Thanks in advance

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Why HDCP error on new 3820R stick which replaced 3810?

Hi @BirchTree,

Welcome to the Roku Community.

I'm sorry to hear about the issue you're running into and I'd be happy to help take a closer look to see how we can help get you up and running.

We recommend starting here to troubleshoot HDCP issues: What to do if you see an “HDCP Error Detected” message or a purple screen | Official Roku Support

If the issue still persists, please help us with the required details below for us to send additional information for the investigation to our engineering team, and once more information is available I'll be sure to let the Community know:
-Roku device model
-serial number
-device ID
-software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-what are you seeing on screen? Can you provide a screenshot of the issue or error message
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Please keep us posted and we'll continue assisting you from there.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
BirchTree
Reel Rookie

Hi Mary

Thanks for the reply, I have tried the unplugging and different ports, as well as changing from auto to manual resolution. But just rebooting the stick via the menu/power/reboot tends to work. Since this temporary fix doesn't entail any physical changes can I assume that the problem is with the stick communicating with the streaming services, or TV etc? Are there any firmware updates that are being investigated for the 3820R? Are there any hardware changes to newer 3820R models? Are there any Roku devices that are not exhibiting the HDCP errors and should I switch models? This 3820R has replaced a 3810 on the same TV and setup, the 3810 never had this problem.

Are there any security issues by posting the requested - serial number and device ID on the public forum? I will try to grab the tracking ID when the error appears again which is quite frequent. At this point though I'm considering switching back to the older stick if the error continues to show up. Looking around the forum it does appear that the HDCP error is somewhat common with the new Roku devices. 

thank you 

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @BirchTree,

Thanks for following up.

If you feel more comfortable providing this information in a PM (private message), please feel free to send me a PM and I can further assist you.

Please keep us posted.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
BirchTree
Reel Rookie

Thanks, I’ll PM you once I gather more info.

0 Kudos
Dens

This has happened to me after the update. What worked for me was to not turn on the tv on with the red power button at the top of the controller. Use it only to turn off the tv. To turn the tv on use the left arrow button near the top of the controller. For some reason ROKU is not powering up the tv and ROKU correctly.

0 Kudos