Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cavanroo
Level 7

White Dots, popping noise, screen blanking out

I have an older Samsung 3D TV. I purchased a Roku Streaming+ Stick. The HDMI port does not allow for the stick to fit behind the TV. I purchased a 180 degree HDMI adapter. The picture starts off fine. After a while of watching the screen randomly cuts out to black then returns. Eventually white snow type dots appear on the screen and popping noises start happening. I have to power off and on for it to go away, but it keeps coming back. Is the stick bad? Is it the adapter?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: White Dots, popping noise, screen blanking out

Hi,

Thanks for contacting us regarding the issue that you are experiencing.

Please be aware that we offer a free HDMI extender that is available through this form: https://my.roku.com/hdmi

We recommend that you try plugging your device into another HDMI port on your TV. If that doesn't work, you can try seeing if there are other options in your TV settings for display type (such as 1080p) that you will no longer see the issue.

Please keep us posted once you have tried our HDMI extender and we will follow up on other ways to assist you.

Thanks,
Danny
Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Elijah_Baley
Level 8

The symptom you describe is usually a bad cable and, since you only have an adapter in place of a cable it is probably the adapter or the port on the TV.
I believe that the extension cable mentioned by Danny has a good chance of fixing the problem. Of course any decent extension cable would also be an effective fix.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
0 Kudos
cavanroo
Level 7

I got the Roku extension. I haven't experienced the white dots, but I am still experiencing the screen temporarily blacking out and coming back on.
0 Kudos