Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jcoyne23
Level 7

White Blinking Light

Hi everyone,

I have done quite a bit of research on the white blinking light I'm getting from my Roku. I understand that it means that the Roku is searching for and internet connection. However, I bought the Roku while I was home on break from college and I set the entire thing up at my parents house and then brought it to my aparatment at school so I'm wondering if that means that it's searching for the wifi at my parents house and it won't give me a signal on the screen until it finds it. It wouldn't be able to get the wifi in my apartment until I set that up because it is password protected but I can't even set that up because the roku is just blinking and the tv says no signal. I can't even make the change in internet connection for the roku since it won't even turn on. I tried to reset it using a paper clip but nothing changes it still just goes on with the white blinking light. Any help would be greatly appreciated I'm getting really frustrated with this.
5 Replies
Basil
Level 10

Re: White Blinking Light

So, the real issue isn't that you have a white blinking light, but that your Roku doesn't appear to be outputting anything to the screen? Because the first is an annoyance and the second is a major problem. How about clarifying what's really going on. 

Start with connecting the Roku to a TV. Are you making all the connections to the TV (HDMI, I assume) before you apply power to the TV and to the Roku?

If so, does that HDMI cable work with other devices? It might be a defective cable, after all, which would cause what I'm reading is the actual problem (nothing displaying on the screen).

If the HDMI cable is good, do other devices work with that HDMI input on the TV? Because a defective HDMI input on the TV would also cause that.

Have you tried the Roku on another TV, and this next bit is critical, AFTER the issue appeared? That is, did it fail to work on your TV, but then you took it to another TV and it worked/didn't work?
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
jcoyne23
Level 7

Just yesterday before I made the move the roku was working with the same hdmi cable on the same tv then when I get all moved in and I plug it in it's not working. I had just assumed that the white blinking light and the fact that there's no output from the roku to the tv went hand in hand since it's something I haven't seen it do before up until now.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

They may be related, since the white blinking light would indicate it's trying to connect to the network. But that's a secondary issue. Primary is, of course, the lack of output from the Roku to the TV. That's where the focus should be.

You haven't all addressed the questions I asked, so let me explain why there is importance about them. In order to find out what's going on, it's helpful to know the steps that happened, and the order in which they happened. That matters. That needs to be understood. For example, plugging a cable into a device while it's running can cause problems. If, during the cable insertion, a contact is made between some parts that shouldn't contact, damage can result to one or both devices as well as the cable. That is to say, turning on devices and connecting cables is not the same as connecting cables and turning on devices. That must be understood.

All that to say that the questions asked may be important questions. Others may spot things that are said, or not said, and pick up valuable clues as to the cause. Once the cause is know, a solution may be determined.

So, if recall the order in which you connected the devices and applied power, that may indicate what troubleshooting steps would be best in finding the cause and determining a solution.

Beyond that, if you have another HDMI cable, try it. If you try one from another device (game system, etc) be sure to power the items off first, and unplug if possible (particularly for the "always on" kind of devices, of which Roku is one).

If there is another HDMI port on the TV (empty if possible, in use if necessary) try that.

Let us know what the results of these steps are.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
Hari23
Level 7

I have the same problems. My roku 2 will not display on my tv screen. No the hdmi port is not defective, I play my Xbox on it. I plug it in and it flashes (white) but will not display on tv any solutions?
0 Kudos
pocketchange
Level 8

AT&T installer replaced my earlier series (fiber optic feed) modem w/their newest model and scanned for Wi-Fi signal strength, which came thru w/60mbps. All this and I'm living with a blinking light that has on (too many occasions) refused to go solid..!  WTF?  When fully operational, I have ZERO issues.. it works great.. but, taking hrs., to get a solid connection is a PITA.   

Is this 4660RW starting to break down or is something else going on?   pc

0 Kudos