Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

What should I do if I see a “HDCP Error Detected” message

This topic may have been posted before, but specific to me, I can't find an answer.  I have a Roku 3, and a Panasonic Viera LCD 37" TV from about 2009.  Have never had any problems with Roku.  Today, I added the Apple channel, and it worked when I set it up, but when I turned the TV back on later, I got the HDCP error detected message.  I followed the instructions for unplugging the HDMI cable from both the TV and Roku device, plugged it back into both, and I still get the same screen.  So, I can't even delete the Apple channel to see if that's the problem.  Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: What should I do if I see a “HDCP Error Detected” message

I wouldn't expect the ATV channel to be an issue if it's not even running. HDCP errors tend to be one of three things. The HDMI ports have dirt/dust in them, blocking the connection, the HDMI cable has failed, or one of the devices has a hardware failure. Your TV is pretty old, as is your Roku 3. There are two versions of the Roku 3, one released in 2013 and the other in 2015. The older one is no longer supported, but since you could install ATV it's likely the newer one.

So, three things to try: using a different HDMI cable, after ensuring the ports are all clean, connecting the Roku to a different TV as a test, and connecting something else to your TV to see if the port still works. 

If the Roku doesn't work on a different TV, it's likely suffered some sort of hardware failure, and replacement is the only option. If it works fine on a different TV, then the Roku isn't the issue, and you have to look elsewhere. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos