Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Weird glitch

I have my Roku TV set to go to HDMI 1 on boot, but sometimes when I turn my TV on, it shows the transition to HDMI 1, then a weird audio and video glitch occurs where a bunch of scrambled pink and green pixels appear on screen, along with some static-like noise. Pressing home takes me to the home menu like normal, and selecting HDMI 1 fixes the issue.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
Level 17

Re: Weird glitch

I don't have a Roku TV, so this is pure speculation.

Many tvs start up showing the input they were on when shut down.
Seeing the transition occasionally may be because when you shut down the tv it was set to view something other than HDMI1 so it starts up on a different input and then switches.

When switching to an HDMI input the tv and whatever is connected to that input exchange information so that both can set themselves to connect properly with each other - this is referred to as a handshake. You can get odd results if the handshake fails. When you shut down most tvs they just go into standby mode so they can start up more quickly. My guess is the established handshake for the current input is maintained during standby, so everything starts up right. When it has to immediately switch to a different input, perhaps the tv or the other device isn't ready to perform the handshake so the handshake fails.
  • Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos